version: 11.86.0.38

malexherron

Registered
Apr 5, 2021
Los Angeles
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello:

I am preparing for an upgrade from a CentOS6 to CentOS7 server while using a remote MySQL server. I have used the manage_mysql_profiles tool described in this documentation to export the MySQL profile from the v6 server and imported on the v7. Before I grant access on the MySQL server to the v7 server, I wanted to be sure this is the proper order of operations as I have not used the transfer tool yet to migrate any domains or IPs, etc. I essentially have a fresh install of cPanel that matches the existing server, and that is all.

Is it proper to set up the MySQL profile prior to using the migration procedure described here to transfer accounts from one server to another? If i transfer only a single account and IP, will there be any additional considerations to make so that is uses the information already present in the remote db? Thanks for any insight.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! If I were doing this, I'd setup the remote database connection first, so things can be placed in the proper area when the accounts are migrated/restored. You can always try that with just one test account first to see if that gets things working how you expect.

Reactions: malexherron

malexherron

Registered
Apr 5, 2021
Los Angeles
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! If I were doing this, I'd setup the remote database connection first, so things can be placed in the proper area when the accounts are migrated/restored. You can always try that with just one test account first to see if that gets things working how you expect.
thanks! i'll move forward then slightly more confidently =D

Reactions: cPDavidL

malexherron

Registered
Apr 5, 2021
Los Angeles
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Rex isn't around, today. But I'm glad he was able to help! Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
I do have a slight follow up question. I am about to grant access on the remote mySQL server prior to migrating any accounts. Is it recommended to grant all permissions for the appropriate user on the new server? Is there any risk that existing db entries will be overwritten/changed by the new server prior to the accounts being migrated? I expect not, but would like to be sure.

Also this issue is likely solved, how do i mark it as such?

cPDavidL

Linux Analyst II
Staff member
Oct 15, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Is it recommended to grant all permissions for the appropriate user on the new server?
If not on Amazon RDS, it will require "Super" privileges at minimum. A formal list of privileges required, can be found under step 3 of the Add Profile process, in the documentation:

Is there any risk that existing db entries will be overwritten/changed by the new server prior to the accounts being migrated?
The only circumstance in which the Transfer Tool would effect existing dbs and users, would be if the overwrite option is enabled for the transfer, and the remote MySQL host already had database names and users matching those being transferred.

Another note on something you may not be aware of: The transfertool will not modify the applications being migrated. This includes, for example, Wordpress settings to connect to its database at localhost via TCP or socket. The applications themselves must still be manually updated to connect to the remote MySQL host.

Also this issue is likely solved, how do i mark it as such?
We can mark the thread as solved for you. I suspect that last bit may bring up more concerns, so I'll hold off for now. Just let us know once you're confident that all of your concerns on the process have been alleviated.