The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migration from cPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by souzafo, Jun 26, 2012.

1. souzafo

souzafo Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a cPanel server now with disk problems, yesterday I climbed a new server over the same ip. He had made a full backup of the previous cpanel and when I finished the installation of new and I could not recover the backup, with several errors. I am administrator of this cpanel and would like to know the steps to recover everything from the old server upon installation I did, someone could help me?

Excuse my English, but I hope I have been understood.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Could you let us know what type of error messages you received when attempting to restore the backup files? To clarify, did you make account backups, or was an image made of the entire system?

Thank you.

3. souzafo

souzafo Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sorry for the delay in response, I would like to know a step-by-step to make the backup and restore in case of total loss of the system. Where do I have to install the cPanel again. Could you help me?
    I was thinking of making a disk image and update some directories through rsync, what do you think?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There are no official step-by-step directions for this type of restoration because it's not supported. The recommended method involves installing cPanel on a new server and restoring the accounts from valid cPanel backups. If you do not have backups of the accounts, you can try user-submitted methods of restoring a server, as mentioned on threads such as:

Restore cPanel System

These methods may be helpful, but we only recommend using them as a last resort.

Thank you.