The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migration Help: Data syncing after X days of transferring before NS change

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jprisant, Feb 27, 2007.

1. jprisant

jprisant Registered

Migration Experience/Help:Data syncing after X days of transferring before NS change

We have been migrating from our current managed dedicated provider to a new provider. We have been transferring the ~100gb of accounts late at night over the past few days. We will have everything transferred by the end of tonight... but I am worried about lost data, files, logs, stats, emails, etc etc over the past few days... WHM really should have a synchronization utility along with the other transfer tools / systems.

Someone mentioned using rsync on the /home directories... but said the tool isn't very dependable and can cause problems... which to me means it really isn't usable.

How do you recommend syncing the data between the two servers, with data integrity / validation before switching over the name servers??? What are your recommendations? What problems did you have? What is / isn't synced?

What are your experiences, good or bad, with the sync process(es)?

All / Any help is greatly appreciated!

#1 jprisant, Feb 27, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  2. jprisant

jprisant Registered

Is there a tip I'm not aware of to get responses for a thread? (I dont mean that in any kind of aggressive or jerk wa)

3. picoleto

picoleto Member

The only thing that i really would recommend using would be rsync or something maybe like wget(i think it has that functionality) to sync the lost data if there is any.

4. brendanrtg

brendanrtg Well-Known Member

There is an issue of time here and unless someone can invent something to stop time, you can only hope to get a recent copy of the site and not the same site if you dont want any downtime.

I recall there is a lengthly thread in this forum suggesting ways of doing such a sync transfer so you might want to do a search for it but it would only be the most current data you are looking at DURING transfer but not after the transfer.

If you can afford 2 days of downtime for the transfer to complete, then its a piece of cake. :D