The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migration To a New Server - *Problem Came Up*

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jasio, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Jasio

Jasio Active Member

Hello,

I bought a new server, and I wanted to move all my clients over completely to the new server. Both servers are running the latest up to date version of cPanel/WHM. The IP of the new server *is* different, so this is what I did:

1) Went to my DNS registrar the updated my 1st name server to reflect the new IP (24 hours before moving accounts).
    2) I copied all the accounts over without a problem.
    3) All the services seemed to run fine.
    4) I stopped apache on the old server, so see if it would redirect to the new server.
    5) Set old server to run as a slave, disabled its "primary dns" function.

The problem comes in here: The websites wont load. if I got http://mynewip/~username/ it works fine. But if I got to their domain if says "unable to connect to <domain>". The funny thing is, doing an nslookup on my nameserver shows that it does point ot the new IP, and has been pointing to it for the past 12 hours. So the question I have is... why are all the sites refusing to work? Why are they depending on the old server, even though the IP *is* different?

I used the IP Migration wizard without any problems, the IP's on the new server are correct, and the accounts, are pointing to the right IP. Running a fixnamed and fixnsd confirmed that BIND on the new server picked everything up.

So what's going on exactly? Why dont the sites show up?

2. OCX

OCX Well-Known Member

DNS propagation takes up to 72hours..not 12

3. Jasio

Jasio Active Member

I dunno... is that the only possible answer? I just have a feeling that I'm missing something and the DNS propogation time isnt it, because nslook up and ping of my main name server do point to the new server's IP, which means its already propogated through my ISP. Something else must be up =/

4. Jasio

Jasio Active Member

*Bump!*

Well, I think some of the pages managed to pickup the new IP... if I do a ping on some of my domains they *do* resovle to the new IP, but they show the default cPanel message "there is no website configured at this address" page... why? The accounts are setup, and added. Why arent they showing up, even though they know they are pointed to the right IP ?

5. compunet2

compunet2 Well-Known Member

Check httpd.conf and make sure they are setup correctly there (they have the right IP and so forth).

6. Jasio

Jasio Active Member

Yes, the httpd.conf file matches with the correct IP's and paths. Problem still persists =/

7. OCX

OCX Well-Known Member

make sure you restart bind and apache

8. Jasio

Jasio Active Member

Many times. Still no help.

#8 Jasio, Aug 5, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2004