The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migration to new server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by toygeek, Dec 23, 2005.

1. toygeek

toygeek Member

Hi, I'm replacing a server with a new box. Its going to live on the same IP's and everything. Its going to have a new installation of Fedora Core 2, with the latest WHM/cPanel installation. The old server is a RH7.3 box with 280 accounts on it.

I need to be able to transfer everybody over so that all Ihave to do is change the IP's on the new server and it'll come online with the websites intact. I also need to sync everybody's mail, but I figure an rsync script will work for that.

Any suggestions? Where do I start with this?

BTW We've been doing a similar process with our Plesk servers, and it is horrible. Hopefully this will be easier.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

3. Einstein

Einstein Registered

How is a transfer done with "zero" downtime? Can you forward all IP packets from old server to new until all DNS servers have resolved?

4. toygeek

toygeek Member

Its not hard. Bring the old server down to a different IP number (but leave it online) and then bring the new server up on the old server's IP's. Really its not difficult. I did the whole migration and it worked great, only missed a couple of things and they were relatively easy to fix.

5. Einstein

Einstein Registered

But if you are moving to a different data center .. and you get new IPs. Switching IPs is not the case in such a situation.

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Try searching the forums for rinetd which allows you to forward TCP connections between IP addresses.