The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mirror desktop, mobile, and tablet emails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by GoWilkes, Jul 17, 2015.

1. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I receive roughly 2,000 emails a day, most of which are automated by my site and just filed away for future reference.

I use Thunderbird on my desktop to download the emails via POP, and they leave the emails on the server for 3 days. Then I have numerous filters in Thunderbird to move everything around to where they should be.

I have my Android mobile and Kindle set to download emails, too, but they both lack decent filters and folder capabilities, so they're basically useless. I have to scan through hundreds of emails to find that one important email that, on my desktop, would have been right on top.

I don't think that using IMAP is a solution, because if I understand correctly, the emails would stay on the server indefinitely. Obviously, 60,000 emails in a month would fill up my hard drive unnecessarily, and I suspect that it would get pretty slow over time.

In a more ideal world, I would download the emails in Thunderbird, let the filters move everything around, THEN my mobile and Kindle would mirror the Thunderbird Inbox and Sent folders.

Can you guys suggest a better solution, either server-side or client-side?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Have you considered utilizing a different email application for Android and Kindle (depending on which Kindle)? I'm not aware of any server-side solutions other than to use IMAP, so you may want to check with the Andriod and Kindle development communities.

Thank you.

3. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just for future readers, the only way I've found to accomplish this is by creating 2 accounts on my desktop; one for IMAP, and one for POP. Both go to the same account.

The POP account is set to download emails every 3 days, and leave emails on the server for 6 days. This lets me access emails for the last 3 days on all devices, and after that they all get downloaded to my desktop, filtered appropriately.

It's not ideal, but it works.

4. keat63

keat63 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Not sure if this would work, trial and error i guess.
    Then in Cpanel >> Account Level Filtering create your filters based on your critera and have the messages delivered to which ever subfolder.

I've just tried and the account level filter works. It delievered my test mail to the sub folder.
    However, i can't actually see the email using my phone and i'm at work, so don't particularly have too much time to experiment.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm happy to see you were able to find a workaround that's suitable for your requirements. Thank you for sharing the solution.