The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mirror one or several sites to second server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sleuth1, Dec 1, 2004.

1. sleuth1

sleuth1 Well-Known Member

Hi, I am certain this is already being done by some of the smart people here , but if someone can give me a little help or point me in the right direction would appreciate this.

Recently had the failure of nameservers on one machine and this led to downtime on one crucial site which led to a situation best avoided in future . I only want to do this with a couple of accounts or those which would pay for the service .

Now in this case I could have just added 1 or 2 more nameservers to point to primary ip for this site and this would have saved the down time , the http and mail were still fine on primary machine , only ns failed, but better to mirror all services if possible ..so

The main site is php data base driven and has new input daily , so would like to mirror it every 24 hours to second server ( daily is enough ), including email function.

Looking at rsync to do this and 2 nameservers , one ns to point to current server ( which is the primary nameserver for that site) and second nameserver for second server (in the event of any ns failure or any other failure ? on first machine ). This appears to be more tricky than the simple logic here , because if second namserver is quicker than first , it may create double emails, slow emails, or confused data ( slightly different on both servers perhaps if timing is off ) Also say http alone fails , the primary nameserver will still route to dead http unless some form of monitored ping is set up to switch namservers

Question one : How to best mange this ( without the cost and technicality of paying for such as service) or can it be done reliably ?

Then a script( or tutorial to get rsync to do this ) If it could be done with a form of ftp that is ok , but rsync looks the go . Thanks for any useful imput .

2. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can setup dns failover service using providers like zoneedit.com or dnsmadeeasy.com and use rsync. Works well for static content. When you need to mirror dynamic content then the options become more expensive.

3. sleuth1

sleuth1 Well-Known Member

Hey Sawbuck, yep it sounds like the dynamic may be too problematic, have you used the zonedit fail over ? I tried it a while back and it tended to switch ( more like load balancing ) when the primary server slowed down and this led to the back up site ( which was more rudimentary ) being most often called So what i will do is offer the client back up nameservers, and if he wants the full mirror ask for him to get out his wallet , and then some :D

4. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sounds like the way to go as secondary offsite dns at least provides the zone files if primary is down. If you discover anything else interesting would like to hear about it.