The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing account due to Zone file removal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aboleth, Nov 19, 2005.

1. aboleth

aboleth Well-Known Member

Heyas. I've been running cpanel for a while now, and it's worked very well for me. I have however come across a few things. The first thing i'd like to know, and this is probably quite simple, is what i would have to do to set up an existing bind server as a secondary dns server for my cpanel clients. (would be using cpanel as the primary dns, and the secondary dns for our ISP would serve as the secondary for cpanel as well) I think this is pretty simple, as i said, but I just haven't gotten around to figuring it out yet. Now, on to the "problem" i've been having. I set up a domain for a client, and by default cpanel creates a zone file for that domain. Perhaps this may sound dumb to all of you, but i've been deleting that zone file and just creating a zone file on our primary dns, as some of our clients just want mail on cpanel, and have their site hosted on another server that exists on our network. This way i can just add a MX record pointing to cpanel from the primary dns on our network and it works just fine. The problem I came across, was after deleting the zone file for one of my clients, his username/domain does not appear in my account listing. He can log into cpanel with his account and it says "welcome yourdomain.com!" as opposed to his actual domain name. He also doesnt have access to some of the functions availible in cpanel, like uninsstalling and reinstalling front page extensions. It says "Sorry, your Cpanel Config file is missing your dns info". Now I have an understanding as to why this may happen, but im not positive. Unfortunately I dont know how to delete his account from shell (completely) so recreating it is a problem. Another thing that confuses me is I have many accounts on cpanel with no zone file in cpanel itself. They all seem to work without this problem. So, if anyone can offer me some ideas here, i'd be very appreciative. A run down of how to delete an account manually would be awesome too, or even a link showing the process. Thanks so much to whomever took the time to read this post. :)

2. aby

aby Well-Known Member

I doubt what is the need for the deletion of the zonefile from the server..
    Anyway if you want to terminate an account use this command from the shell

/scripts/killacct username

3. DigitalSurgeon

DigitalSurgeon Well-Known Member

-Login to the server via shell and go to /var/cpanel/users/
    -vi username (replcae username with the actual username)
    -Add DNS=domainname.com(Actual domain name for the account) in that file.

It will solve the errors that I quoted above.

4. aboleth

aboleth Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for your help. I delete the DNS zone from the server because there is already a dns zone on our other dns server, and this may cause problems. Eventually i plan to have all cpanel clients use cpanel as the DNS server as well, but untill that happens i've been deleting the zones. Also, anyone have info on how to make a secondary bind server work as a secondary for cpanel... pretty sure this should be simple.

5. aby

aby Well-Known Member

What I am trying to tell is that .. is there is really a need for the dns zone to be removed... and if not what is issue in having it there though you are using some external DNS servers... I am not seeing any issues with that ..

6. mackers8923

mackers8923 Member

Once I have typed the command DNS etc what key do I hit to save this or commit this information, I'm very new to SSH/Telnet

7. RizyDeWino

RizyDeWino Well-Known Member

If you are using vi then after adding the line first press Esc button to exit INSERT mode and then press Shift+zz(Shift and zz together)