The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing Add-ons?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by linkup, Jan 27, 2010.

1. linkup

linkup Active Member

Am trying to test some software and some of the required system components don't appear to be in a standard build.

Transmission (transmissionbt.com) Their website has Unix distro for a dozen systems plus another half dozen for NAS's but not for cPanel. When I did a search for Transmission on here I got no results, and when I searched their forum for cPanel, I got no hits there either?

UUDeview UUDeview Home Page

cksfv cksfv | freshmeat.net

VLC VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player Found a RHEL distro, is that compatible?

unrar WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files They show a RH RPM at Lixna

Seems these are all "leader" products in their genre and some if not all features could be added to a build?

I tried LOCATE to find these various programs on the cPanel box. I found an uninstalled version of unrar somewhere but didn't want to touch it not knowing if it was standard or modified or ?

I hope that I am just not naive, and there is some easy way to access or install these programs that I am not aware of, or are they possible considerations for future builds?

Seems like in the interim I will have to find someone who can figure out how to install these on the cPanel server, and hopefully not screw up something else in the process.

Thanks

2. garrettp

garrettp Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You should be able to find all of these packages in RPM format and install them that way, or possibly through 3rd party yum repos (assuming you're running a RedHat-based system and not FreeBSD).

The programs you've listed above are not installed by cPanel because cPanel does not have a use/need for them.

3. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    The specified third-party components are not required for using cPanel and WHM; installing additional software and utilities is a systems administration task. However, if a server administrator sees a need arise he or she is welcome to install third-party utilities and libraries (e.g., for additional archive and compression formats). I would check with your OS vendor for available software packages that should be compatible, (e.g., vendor of a Linux distribution like CentOS that includes precompiled binary packages in RPM format installable via CLI/SSH access using "yum").

Via root SSH access, on a system using CentOS/RHEL (with YUM), I would try a command like the following to locate the aforementioned software:
    Code:
    # yum search cksfv unrar uudeview vlc
    For additional reference information using YUM I recommend reviewing the manual "man" and help documentation using the following commands:
    Code:
    # man yum
    # yum --help
    Unless compiled from source, certain programs may only be available in precompiled binary format from a non-stock or third-party RPM repository, such as EPEL or RPMforge; however, extreme caution should be used when considering extra software from third-party sources, including taking into account stability issues and lack of support. Please review the following site for further information that should be considered: Available Repositories for CentOS

For additional reference, modules for Pear, Pecl, Perl, Ruby, and RPM software packages (from your configured OS RPM repositories) may be installed using WHM via the following menu paths:
    WHM: Main >> Software >> Install a RPM
    WHM: Main >> Software >> Module Installers

4. linkup

linkup Active Member

Thanks for all the info....a few problems for a rookie though...

1. The assumption is that I know how to get an RPM into the list to choose from.

2. The link you provided tells me to "select packages to install list". I can't find such a text string. Perhaps it meant: Software/Install a RPM?

3. YUM trys to get RPMs from a site called crotchrocket or something like that. All of its attempts failed for all of the various packages I tried.

4. I couldn't find any of the packages on the first RPM site you mentioned, but did find at least one on the second site.

5. They instruct you to do a WGET to get the package. The link to the package failed. I then manually downloaded the package, but don't know where on the server to put it so I can proceed?

6. Since it is a RPM, I assume I can put it where all the RPMs go?

Thanks!

5. linkup

linkup Active Member

Hello again...

I think I properly manange to add the rpmforge rpm to the directory it should go in, and I ran the command they said to install the rpm, so now a yum directive should have access to the rpms at rpmforge, but I still get the Atomic Rocket error messages. It isn't searching the rpmforge options, it is still trying the non-functioning atomicrocketturle database that apparently is full of bad links.

Can someone please tell me how to get past this error.

Thx

6. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    The documentation is referring to the text ("Select packages to install") that is seen directly above the drop-down list on the page "Install a RPM" -- this applies when using cPanel 11.25; an older version might differ slightly in terms of wording.

Any directory may be used when manually downloading RPMs; it may not be necessary to keep the downloaded RPMs unless desired as a backup.

I recommend consulting with a dedicated systems administration team for assistance; I believe this would help the most as they could perform the tasks including custom software installation. As a start I would check with the upstream data center or hosting vendor as they should have on-site staff that may be able to assist with administrative tasks and or offer system management services.

#6 cPanelDon, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  7. linkup

linkup Active Member

Hello Don,

1. "The documentation is referring to the text ("Select packages to install") that is seen directly above the drop-down list on the page "Install a RPM" -- this applies when using cPanel 11.25; an older version might differ slightly in terms of wording."

It does say that, but that assumes I knew where to look in the first place, which is why I think the instructions should have said to first go to the "Software" section, then choose "Install a RPM", and then I will see that option. The suggestion assumed I knew how to do the first two steps before getting to the third step. When a guru talks to a newbie, you need to understand that the newbie doesn't automatically know to do the first two steps before getting to the third step.

2. Wondering why I would be referred elsewhere to get assistance on what appears to be a problem with the cPanel part of the product??

Upon further research, it seems there is a problem with the YUM install. Did the hosting company install YUM on the server, or did it come with the cPanel install. Hard for me to imagine that after you install cPanel that you have to manually go back and install YUM???

I mentioned twice the errors I was having with YUM. After digging further, it appears there is a yum.conf file, or something like that. It instructions YUM where to search for RPMs (if I said that right). The conf file refers to atomiccrotchrocket or whatever it is called.

I didn't put in the reference to that, I don't think the hosting company added the bad link to the yum config file, I am assuming the bad link was put in the yum config file by cPanel???

Obviously over time links get changed....but I further assumed that when a server update was done, that part of the update would involve updating the standard features of the software, i.e. correcting the yum config file?

Since I am assuming my yum install is standard for a cPanel box, and that all the yum installs would then have a common bad link problem, it seems this issue would have been reported before and fixed.

So.....who should be responsible for the yum config?

Thanks,

Lew

8. linkup

linkup Active Member

Thanks for everyone's help....

Seems that YUM wasn't intended for RHEL4. Supposed to use up2date for everything?

Turns out my yum and up2date installs were bad. Was able to get help with both of those and then was able to get the software installed.

Have a nice day!

Lew

9. linkup

linkup Active Member

ps: It was also suggested that I should upgrade from RHEL4 to 5. Apparently it is easiest to migrate to a new server vs. trying to upgrade the version of RHEL?

If I should seriously consider a server upgrade, then I expect I will be back here for migration help....couldn't be any worse than the Ensim to cPanel migration you guys helped with.

Thanks!