Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Missing Email Accounts

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by madpato, Aug 28, 2018.

1. madpato

madpato Well-Known Member

Hello

Yesterday i had a report of one of my customers saying that their Email accounts where gone, well i went to check this and to my surprise everything was gone but if i go to /home/username/mail all the information was there. So here is what i have done (looking some old posts on this forum):

- Switched from X3 to paper_lantern (old customer) theme, no luck.
    - Checked on configserver mail manage in WHM, email accounts are present there, if i try to recreate the accounts it wont let me since the account exists.
    - tried upcp --force, nothing.
    - restarted cpanel services, nothing
    - looking at email_accounts.yaml under the .cpanel folder i can see the information but if i go to email_accounts.json i dont see all email accounts listed there. Any way to recreate this file? I believe thats the problem.

This is the second case since yesterday, my first case all i did was a recover from a backup, but i dont want / can do this with every customer that reports this problem.

My Cpanel version is 74.0.6

Regards.

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @madpato

If you create an email account once the account is created do the rest of them reappear? That's the easiest way I know of to repopulate the email_accounts.json file.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. madpato

Did that. The other accounts dont show up.

4. cPanelLauren

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @madpato

The email_accounts.json was never created? Do you have any errors logged in the cPanel error logs?

Without the email_accounts.json file being populated there wouldn't be a way to restore this without restoring from a backup I'm afraid.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. madpato

Yeah i noticed, all i was left to do was to restore a backup. This concerns me since its not the first case.
    The json file was there but it was not being repopulated with all the information. I will check the logs and post any other useful information.

6. cPanelLauren

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @madpato

The only other thing I can think of would have been to remove the email_accounts.json entirely, create an email account then see if it had been repopulated. What is perplexing is how the account ended up in that state, I'm really happy you were able to restore from backups.

Thanks!

7. madpato

Well i just found more cases, i cant keep restoring backups, im opening a ticket.

8. cPanelLauren

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @madpato

I do think that's best, as seeing the system may reveal why the issue is occurring. Please post the ticket ID here once it's open so we can follow up with the outcome in this thread.

Thanks!

9. madpato

Ticket ID: 10210383

10. cPanelLauren

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @madpato

Thanks! I'm following the progress of that ticket and I'll update here with any new information.

11. cPanelLauren

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @madpato

I checked in on your ticket this morning and found that the issue appears to have been identified as a malicious script on the account experiencing the issue. Based on the outcome of the ticket some of the Wordpress installations were out of date and you would be resolving this.

Thanks!

12. Olusegun

Olusegun Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Having this missing email issue
    We noticed that the email accounts of some email account are missing on our cpanel account.

The files and folders are still there, but the email accounts don't show up in the cPanel interface.

Kindly help with solution