The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing Emails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by whs, Aug 28, 2004.

1. whs

whs Member

Several weeks ago we moved from a reseller account to a dedicated server and have run into numerous issues. The most important is missing emails. The scenario is several users are unable to receive messages from various places but others are able to receive those same emails.

User 1: domain1.com receives an email from domain3.com and it does not deliver
    User 2: domain2.com receives the same email from domain3.com and it delivers

Our logs show the messages are coming into all the users but it is not showing in their mailbox. I'm just baffled by this. We have also had messages sit in the queue for long periods of time before sending. One of my users hasn't received emails since yesterday @ 2pm but when checking the queue, it's still in there.

Any ideas?

2. ramprage

ramprage Well-Known Member

If you just finished moving the nameservers take up to 48 hours to finish propagating throughout the web. So you'll have some users seeing the old server while others see the new. What you should do for any move is change the old hosts DNS settings to update more frequently, then direct it to point ot your new IP. After you've done this copy all the latest files over otherwise you'll miss things in between the change.

3. whs

whs Member

More information

Sorry, I should have included more information. I'm fully aware of propagation and took care of this in our migration. We migrated 3 weeks ago. Complete propagation has taken place. At this point, I don't know what else to say but users are not receiving emails. This was a brand new install of cpanel/whm when we got into this server. We have found many instances of mis-configurations and are in awe right now as this just does not make any kind of sense. If you have any additional information, I would greatly appreciate it.

4. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Have you double checked the zone files? Are you experiencing any other issues? Post some domain info so your dns can be checked at least. Have you tried tailing the exim_mainlog to look for errors?

5. whs

whs Member

Hopefully this will mean something for you

Yeah, I have looked through zone files and already tailed exim_mainlog.

DNS info:

My site > wehoststuff.com
    No issues > vscene.com
    Many issues > davidsewall.com

6. sawbuck

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    #6 sawbuck, Aug 28, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  7. whs

whs Member

Right over my head

I can't tell you how many times I have been there in the past week while working on my rdns and now this. Ugh, thanks for the help.

8. sawbuck

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If stuck again you can always post or PM the zone file(s) and get some additional help.
    Good luck. :)

9. whs

whs Member

:)

If this works, I owe you a beer. Thanks for the quick response and help.

Nick

10. sawbuck

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    One other thing. Be especially aware of trailing periods in your zone files. One of the most often over looked details. Another good tool is to use "dig" from a prompt. If you can do:
    dig ns1.wehoststuff.com @69.57.187.250 and receive a complete response meaning question/answer then you are well on your way to a proper setup.

11. whs

whs Member

That would be the tired eyes today

Yeah, I missed it and you probably ran it again before I fixed it. Thanks for the heads up though.