The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing mails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by hylaxco, Jul 23, 2007.

1. hylaxco

hylaxco Member

Hi All,

I am very new to cPanel and I know nothing. My ISP helped me to install and configure the cPanel for hosting my company website and email.

Has been using cPanel for a week, but few colleagues was saying that some emails they sent cannot reach to the destination address, the mail was lost. Some email we sent with attachment but when the mail delivered to my colleague's mailbox, the attachment was removed.

I wonder where goes wrong. Check with my ISP but they said they don't support cPanel and requested me to check cPanel forum. Can anyone help and enlighten me? How do I trace these missing mail and resolve these problem. Much appreciate.

Thanks~

2. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

....but few colleagues was saying that some emails they sent cannot reach to the destination address, the mail was lost.

This part is critical. If they know they cannot reach the destination they must be getting a specific error back from the mail server. Have them send you an exact copy of the response so you can tell what the error is.

3. hylaxco

hylaxco Member

Hi nyjimbo, thanks for your kind and prompt reply.

Well, as the email was sent within our mail domain, there is no bounce back error or any return mail saying that the mail was not sent. We knew this only when we check with our colleague why they don't response our email. :(

4. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Without additional information, what your colleague is reporting is suspect. I've never seen instances where emails were delivered _without_ the attachments. Typically, either the mail is goign to be delivered with attachments OR the email is going to be rejected because of an improper attachment and the sender notified of such problem.

There are certain large 'free' email providers out there (which willr emain nameless) which seem to have a history of disposing of attachments without warning or notice. If you suspect that the emails you are sending are being sent to one of these 'free' email providers, then you should consider the free email provider as the root of all evil.

You should also log into WHM and view the Mail Queue Manager to see if the emails that aren't being delivered are for some reason sitting in the mail queue. If they are sitting in the mail queue, click on one of them to deliver them and see what the error message states.

Mike

5. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Well, lacking any kind of report you are going to have to run some tests. Can you duplicate the same problem each and every time?. Did you check to be sure mailbox quotas are not being exceeded? Can you have someone from the outside world send a test email to the same people to try to duplicate it that way ?

6. hylaxco

hylaxco Member

Thanks Mike,

First of all, I do suspect. But when I go into their outlook and check, the email was there but without attachment. I was puzzle... :(

For the missing mail, I asked my colleague A to resend to colleague B. But again, the mail wasn't deliver to my colleague B, login his mailbox, also nothing... has been few times... I don't know where goes wrong so I talked to my ISP, but they don't support cPanel..

As I am very new to cPanel, I didn't do anything and have no idea what is Mail Queue Manager. Thanks Mike for enlighten me. I will try it.

-=====-

Hi nyjimbo,

Again thanks for your prompt response. Sometimes it happens twice. No, the mailbox was not exceeded the quota. They use only 1 to 2MB whereas I set the quota to 30MB. I did a test send from outside (yahoo, hotmail, gmail), no problem. This happens only once in a while, not everyday, not everytimes. It is just like randomly happen, therefore I also have problem in troubleshooting.

Thanks, and much appreciate your help~

7. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ahah - actually the attachment wasn't there probably because of a security feature in Outlook.

I don't know about Outlook (bonafide Outlook 2000/2002), but in Outlook Express you have to enable the ability to view attachments that Outlook Express deems may be suspicious.

1. Tools / Options / Security
    - UNcheck "Do not Allow Attachments to be saved or open that could potentially be a virus"
    - click APPLY/OK/CLOSE

2. Close/reopen OUtlook Express

Outlook will have the same feature, but probably in a different location.

Because Outlook is so prone to exploitation, they disable the ability to view most attachments by default.

Mike

8. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok, WHM is the admin facility for Cpanel servers - If you don't own the actual server but just have an account on it, then you only have Cpanel access. But your ISP would have WHM access. you should ask them to check their mail logs and the Mail Queue Manager to see if any of the emails you are referring to are sitting in the Mail Queue. They can check log files to look for problems with mail delivery as well.

Mike

9. hylaxco

hylaxco Member

Hi nyjimbo,

I do suspect Outlook giving problem so I have done the below setting which you described below. I am still monitor this issue. But today morning received mail from my india branch, he has not received one email which my colleague sent to him twice... sigh..

-======-

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. My ISP given me the root access which means i can login to the root , i can see the mail logs and queue manager. I don't see my collegue name inside the Mail Q Manager. Still looking...

Sigh, my ISP didn't let me know they don't provide service on cPanel... after when I sign up, they tell me they don't support...

10. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok, well if its not in Mail Queue Manager, you know it isn't 'stuck' waiting to be delivered. The next step (which will be difficult for you, being unfamiliar) is to look at mail logs such as /var/log/exim_mainlog and /var/log/exim_rejectlog for clues.

mike

11. hylaxco

hylaxco Member

Hi Mike,

Thanks.

Yes, I can't even know what are these things.. :(
    Well, got to slowly pick up now.

I shall see the log file, see if I can find clues from there.

By the way, much grateful your help and nyjimbo.