The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing ports folder at freebsd.org?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hantai, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Hantai

Hantai Member

Trying to perform a port update in WHM I've run into the following errors in various forms:

fetch: ftp://ftp2.us.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5.2.1-release/INDEX: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
    fetch: ftp://ftp1.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5.2.1-release/INDEX: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)

etc, etc.

I've checked the freebsd.org servers and the ports folder for 5.2.1 is completely missing. 5 is present, as are 5.3 and 6, and some older versions, 5.2.1 is AWOL. This of course terminally breaks WHM's updating ability. Anyone know what's going on here or have suggestions on what to do?

2. Hantai

Hantai Member

Ok... Now there's a symlink pointing to packages-5.2-release, which in turn is empty. Still need some enlightenment on wtf is happening (already checked in various online locations and yes I'm asking elsewhere as well, I know that part isn't cpanel's problem but it affects cpanel users so maybe someone knows!) and/or a solution to get the updater working properly (this on the other hand IS directly a cpanel question :P)

#2 Hantai, Feb 10, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  3. Holbrookau

Holbrookau Active Member

I had the same issue (as would any one else running 5.2) almost 2 weeks ago, however my course of action was to upgrade to 5.3 rather than have to chase and wait for cPanel to do anything.
    BTW - the 5.2 packages are available on other servers eg: ftp://ftp14.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/ and I would think cPanel would be aware of the problem - no idea why nothing has been done.

#3 Holbrookau, Feb 10, 2005
  4. Hantai

Hantai Member

I considered the upgrade option but without physical access to the servers it remains an absolute final resort solution. We're talking significant costs and downtime to get it done, to which one can add the inherrent risks of an OS upgrade on an otherwise happy production server.

Looking through the logfiles ftp14 indeed isn't one of the servers in error, but since the procedure is failing I'd have to assume that's because ftp14 isn't checked at all. So the question would be where/how to change the servers checked by the script.

The full list of servers checked and failed is:

ftp2
    ftp11.us
    ftp4.us
    ftp12
    ftp12.us
    ftp13.us
    ftp10
    ftp10.us
    ftp13
    ftp2.us
    ftp1
    ftp1.us

all .freebsd.org of course and in that order.

#4 Hantai, Feb 10, 2005
  5. Hantai

Hantai Member

Anyone have thoughts on this folks?

6. LP-Trel

LP-Trel Well-Known Member