The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

missing (stealth) nameservers: how to fix?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by cyberdao, Mar 14, 2004.

1. cyberdao

cyberdao Member

I have a vps and working nameservers:
    ns1.domain.com
    ns2.domain.com

I would like to have additional nameservers for my clients only. So I received 2 additional IPs and registered them:
    ns1.client.com
    ns2.client.com

When I do a DNS Report on a domain using the latter nameservers, I get error messages:

FAIL: You have one or more missing (stealth) nameservers. The following nameserver(s) are listed (at your nameservers) as nameservers for your domain, but are not listed at the the parent nameservers
    ns1.domain.com
    ns2.domain.com

and also:

ERROR: One or more of the nameservers listed at the parent servers are not listed as NS records at your nameservers. The problem NS records are:
    ns1.client.com
    ns2.client.com

I already edited the DSN zone for client.com and replaced all "domain.com" entries by "client.com"

What else do I have to do to fix this problem?

Thank you!

2. swampy

swampy Well-Known Member

i am having this problem too with 3rd and 4th name servers

3. techrom

techrom Registered

Anything on this because I also have the same problem when I add a 3rd and 4th nameserver so I had to remove it because resellers were not happy and they blamed this DNS report for every problem they were having. One reseller has clients in Alaska and they were using CGI dial up service and they could not view their web sites because of the DNS problem. I would like to add the 3rd and 4th nameservers again but I can't until I figure out what to do about this failed DNS problem.

4. shaky

shaky Well-Known Member

Anyone know how to fix this, I am also having thye same problem where dnsreport.com:

FAIL: You have one or more missing (stealth) nameservers. The following nameserver(s) are listed (at your nameservers) as nameservers for your domain, but are not listed at the the parent nameservers (therefore, they may or may not get used, depending on whether your DNS servers return them in the authority section for other requests, per RFC2181 5.4.1). You need to make sure that these stealth nameservers are working; if they are not responding, you may have serious problems! The DNS Report will not query these servers, so you need to be very careful that they are working properly.

ns2.domain.com.
    ns1.domain.com.

This is listed as an ERROR because there are some cases where nasty problems can occur (if the TTLs vary from the NS records at the root servers and the NS records point to your own domain, for example).

5. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

Do you really have to repost your messages all over the place? Duplicate posts are not allowed!!!! :rolleyes:

6. shaky

shaky Well-Known Member

Hi Mr. Wonderful,

Sorry, I did a search and then posted in the threads that were on display, didn't realies they were in the same forum until afterwards (WHM).... d'oh.

7. shaky

shaky Well-Known Member

I don't suppose you have an answer by any chance regarding this stealth server problem? Would really appreciate it, thx.

8. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

If you have your zone records setup properly in WHM you wont see the above msg. This means all Nameserver records must be setup properly including the hostname record. Make sure all domains have the proper nameservers assigned to them via the zone editor in WHM.

9. shaky

shaky Well-Known Member

Will check it out thx.

10. cyberdao

cyberdao Member

Hi,

the problem with my setup was that I pointed to the new nameservers from my registrar, but I did not change the zone file accordingly. When I replaced all entries of domain.com by client.com (in the zone file) everything was fine.

I don't know if that helps you, because your problem is with ns3 and ns4, but you might have a look at the domain's zone file.

11. shaky

shaky Well-Known Member

I changed the info using the DNS Zone Edit function in WHM in accordance to advice from dnsreport.com and it's all ok now. Thanks for advice.