Missing Temporary Folder Error in WordPress

May 23, 2018
Netherlands
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
At my own virtual cPanel server running Centoa 7 there are only 2 accounts, one is a test site and the other is a wordpress site with lots of visitors.

A few times a week i need to restart php fpm because wordpress can not acces the tmp folder. In wordpress i get a error with file upload saying there is no temporary folder. But the tmp folder is present and not full. After restart of php fpm, everything is working fine again.

I need some help to find out what is the cause of this problem. Opening a ticket at the moment the problem happens is not realy a good option because at that moment we need to publish a news item and that cant wait for a long time.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @Edwin Tjallings

Since your profile indicates that you're a Root Administrator, I'll assume that you have root access to the server. In that case can you please include any related information (for when the issues occur) from the following log files?

Code:
/etc/apache2/logs/error_log
Code:
/opt/cpanel/ea-phpXX/root/usr/var/log/php-fpm/error.log
(replace ea-phpXX with the ea-php version your site is running)

Thanks!

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there, @Quintanilha

You would be able to just enter those file names, but you'd need to run a command to look at them or watch them in real-time. Using a text editor, like Vim or Nano, would let you edit the file, but I like this method instead:

Code:
tail -f /etc/apache2/logs/error_log
If you run that command and then reproduce the error in your browser the log will update in real-time while you watch the screen. You can then push ctrl + c to close the command when you are done watching. Can you try that and see if it helps?

Quintanilha

Feb 25, 2020
Brasil
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I executed the command informed

tail -f /etc/apache2/logs/error_log

but the command shows nothing related to the error mentioned above. I have more than 200 sites not working because of this error

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
If you have sites offline it's always best to put in a ticket so we can check the machine and get this resolved quickly.

You may want to ensure your server is using CGI with mod_ruid2, or suPHP for the PHP handler, or else there can be issues with WordPress not being able to access directories properly.