The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing Zone Files and named.conf

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WebTrooper, Aug 20, 2005.

1. WebTrooper

WebTrooper Member

It started off as I got my system reinstalled (ServerBeach.com/RHSE3), which surprised me with the latest version of cp/whm installed, namely 10.6.0. I went through the ritual of fixing rndc so I could run Bind, and other setup routines. Then on the first virtual hosting account I created the email was acting whacky.

Using outlook express I could receive email but I couldn't send it. I tried every configuration I could think of - port 25, port 26, smpt tweak enabled, then disabled - nothing would work. Then to slightly distract myself and clear my head I decided to create a subdomain. I got the message that the zone files for the domain could not be found, or could not be read. I then checked my /var/named directory to find sure enough, there is no zone file for the domain (domain.com.db, www.domain.com.db). Then I checked my /etc/named.conf only to find there is no entry for the domain. All the standard entries are there (arpa address and such), but nothing for the domain I recently set up through WHM.

So I did some scouting around, checked cpanel error log and I think I found the problem. Thing is, what to do about it? I think this one is beyond me, I'm totally stumped. Here's what I have so far...

# cat /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log

returns a long list repeating the following many, many times:

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Form.pm line 16.
    Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/bin/dnsadmin line 23.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/bin/dnsadmin line 23.
    Can't locate Tie/IxHash.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/cpanel /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7/i686-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/i686-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7 /usr/lib
    /perl5/site_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl .
    /usr/local/cpanel /scripts /usr/local/cpanel /scripts
    /usr/local/cpanel /scripts /usr/local/cpanel) at
    /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Form.pm line 16.

So I took a look at Form.pm and dnsadmin to see these troublesome lines 16 and 23

/usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Form.pm line 16 = use Tie::IxHash;
    /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/bin/dnsadmin line 23 = use Cpanel::Form;

I don't know what to do next. Obviously there's a file or something missing and it seems IxHash has a lot to do with it. I did # locate IxHash but it returned nothing.

Haaalp! :confused:

#1 WebTrooper, Aug 20, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2005
  2. WebTrooper

WebTrooper Member

Nevermind, I found it! :cool:

If anyone else runs into this problem you might try WHM > Software > Install a Perl Module > Search for IxHash > install Tie::IxHash

You should get a looooooong list of events as it installs. Read through them - learn stuff. As for the zone files and entries, I have the liberty of simply deleting and reissuing my test hosting accounts. Did so, files and entries created successfully (whew :eek: ). For those of you who have live hosting accounts, you're on your own.

Ahhhh Krap! :mad: As I was writing this reply I took a minute to try the email. Still not able to send. And the new Outlook Express AutoConfig still "displays" the regedit instead of implementing it. I never asked for this *@#$%* cpanel upgrade!

Oh well... If your whm is not creating /var/named/domainname.com.db files, and it's not writing ...

zone "domainname.com" {
    type master;
    file "/var/named/domainname.com.db";
    };

...to the /etc/named.conf file, your /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log is a good place to start your search.

#2 WebTrooper, Aug 20, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2005