The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

misssing files from home dir...

Discussion in 'Security' started by emoway, May 24, 2009.

1. emoway

emoway Member

hi every one ...

please advice me in the following issue ..i am facing this problem time after time ...i am new at this forum but i tried to find similar post first

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    problem : folders & files missing from the Public_html (files types :php ,html , pdf and images )

solution : last time i re-upload these missing folders and the site start working ,then i change Cpanel password (just in case).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

info :

the hosting company said that we are sharing the space with other site and no one complain and advice me to check my code ??

DB and Mails are both working fine and there is no change in password or any thing so i doubt it is hacking ...

another thing our site visitor has been increasing lately to 150/day

i hope these info helps you investigate the problem
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

please advise in what may cause this problem and how to protect our site from all kinds of problems...

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not sure what that means. You might want to go back to your host and ask for clarification.

3. emoway

emoway Member

thanx for your swift reply ..I really appreciate it :)

i udnerstand from them that our site and other site share some kind of space and if we have problem other sites will be facing the same ,and that is not the case . and that there system will send a msg for user in case of attack . they have also said that if it is from there side i wont be able to access Cpanel at all ???

i am new but i have asked 3 different webmasters with more experience they have all said that it is problem from the hosting company.

finally , i return to this forum to get advice from expert who made Cpanel ..

so regardless what Hostmaster have said ,what may cause this problem in your opinion ?

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Still, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the problem.

You have domain.com and you have files in the root of that account that you've uploaded.
    domain.com/index.html
    domain.com/file.pdf
    domain.com/images/myprettyimage.jpg

And you've changed the password so that only you know it, right?

But then:

So how did they get removed if only you have access?

What other site? Do you know what other site? Are you sharing your account with someone else or is there only one domain on the account and only you have access?

If there is more than one domain and someone else has access, are they linking to your files or have access to those files in any way?

If you check Awstats in your cPanel you should be able to get some sort of idea who's linking to your files. And using the tools provided in cPanel, IP deny, Hotlink protection, Leech protect, you should be able to block them if you chose to.

But that still doesn't explain why the files go missing on you.

If your host does not have answers to your questions or refuses to help you, find a new one.

Not enough Info to help here I don't think.

5. Kailash1

Kailash1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I am not sure but there might be the following reasons behind this:

[1] If your site has XSS vulnerability or bad coding.
    [2] Your system is infected by spyware or maleware from where you are managing your site and hence someone is taking password from your system.

Contact your host as soon as the files are deleted and ask them to check the logs for your domain. (FTP, access logs etc).

Kailash

6. emoway

emoway Member

dear Infopro thanx for thinking with me , can you please guide me to find Awstats in my cpanel ?

------------------------------------------------
    today while am in my file manger the cpanel give me brute fource proticton msg and i couldn't log in again until i used an other PC in other network...i understand that this is IP problem but how come this happen while am using the same pc (same IP ) i usualy use every day ??

and how can i fix this problem too ...i am new ,so is this type of problem keep happen in cpanel or is it me doing some thing wrong ?

i called the hosting company today again and told them that html pages shouldn't disapair !
    and told them about brute force thing ...they said that may be some one has my password and tried to log in at the same time i was in cpanel ?

----------------------------------------------
    what you think ?

7. emoway

emoway Member

dear Kailash...thanks for replying

kindly can you explain " XSS vulnerability" to me and my missing files include simple HTML files , so it is not bad coding ri8?

by my system you mean my PC an OS ?

and about the log can't i access that in cpanel ? or only my host can access

many thanx

8. emoway

emoway Member

hey every one this is the conversation between me and my hosting company

me :
    Regarding down site problem , As you informed before that website files was disappearing after sometimes causing site down which is not acceptable at all ,And it is not as you said caused by sites coding there is some totally HTML files in the websites - html flies dose not contain code - So how will HTML files disappear without reason? I need technical explanation written in an e-mail please.

host :

Kindly be informed the HTML is a code language and it doesn’t contain codes but all HTML IS A CODE language, and as I told you on phone please understand that your website and the control panel is a folder in the server so we do not interfere in the file within the website when a problem happens from our side it will effect to shut down your services as in noting will work, like email ftp control panel URL

---------------------------------------------------------
    please advice ...the site is working now and it has been 4 day since last files despair ,however we are in a middle of campaign so we cant risk it with site been down

many thanks

9. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Back it up, download it and move to a new provider. That's my suggestion. (quick)

10. Kailash1

Kailash1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    For more details of XSS refer this wiki Article

Yes, the system from where you are login to account and accessing cPanel, FTP etc. You can not access FTP logs for your domain from cPanel hence you will require to contact your host.

Kailash