The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mixed Shared and Dedicated Accounts, One DNS

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Lord Wizard, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Lord Wizard

Lord Wizard Registered

Hi all,

I'm dealing with a rather complex setup.

1 VPS to host my company's domain, 1 dedicated server and 2 reseller hosting accounts. All running on Linux with cPanel/WHM. I have different plans for the client to choose and based on their selection, the account shall be created on the dedicated server or one of the reseller accounts.

My challenge is the DNS settings. Here's the configuration:

- ns1 and ns2 on VPS
    - ns3 and ns4 on dedicated server,
    - ns5 and ns6 on 1st reseller account,
    - ns7 and ns8 on 2nd reseller account

All above are defined in my company domain's DNS settings with their respective IPs.

Now, I've created a plan for my own domain on each server/account with all required entries including NS1 to NS8. If I don't do that, and just create A records for ns3 to ns8 in the DNS server of VPS, then these will not be the Authorative nameservers for client's domain. With current configuration if the client account goes to the dedicated server, they need to set their DNS to ns3 and ns4, and ns5 and ns6 if it goes to 1st reseller account, and so on.

This configuration works, but it is very complicated and hard to maintain. As DNS Cluster does not work on shared/reseller hosting accounts (as far as I know) therefore I hope you can help me to have one DNS server only (ns1 and ns2 on VPS) and somehow synchronize it with the accounts created on each machine.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Lord Wizard

2. MattLee

MattLee BANNED

Hello,

Without root level access on the reseller accounts, it wouldn't be possible to have a method of syncing the zone files. Maybe you should consider migrating both reseller accounts onto a single VPS so that you'd be able to set up and use a DNS cluster; the price should be similar.

3. Lord Wizard

Lord Wizard Registered

Hi Matt,

Sorry for delay in getting back to this question.

Thanks for clarification. I've decided to abandon my reseller accounts and focus on dedicated server only.

Many thanks.

Regards,
    Lord Wizard