Mod Security blocks Lynx browser with 406 Not Acceptable

anoetic

Feb 5, 2006
I've installed the default Mod Security rules and am receiving reports that websites cannot be viewed using the lynx browser. A 406 Not Acceptable error is generated. What is unacceptable is that lynx is being blocked. How do I fix this?

anoetic

Feb 5, 2006
Even if I knew what rule was triggering the problem, I wouldn't know how to fix it. I really do not understand these rules. Besides, I truly think this is a bug. People do still browse with lynx and other text browsers. They should not be blocked from accessing websites.

Bailey

Aug 12, 2001
Wisconsin
It is not a bug. When mod_security triggers a rule, it is working correctly.

If you do not understand how to run a piece of software, you should not be running it. Learn about mod_security before installing and messing with it. Otherwise, you are at risk for breaking your server and not being able to fix it (such as you are experiencing right now).

So, uninstall mod_security.

Then Google it.

Read, read, and read some more.

Then re-install, only after you feel you actually fairly understand what you're looking at.

And hire a server administrator. You really, really need one. ;)

:D Bailey

anoetic

Feb 5, 2006
First, Baily, I *did* hire a system admin. Chirpy installed mod_security as part of his server setup. He installed the default WHM mod_security rules according to his report.

Perhaps there is not a bug in mod_security, but there is a bug in the mod_security rules if they block anyone browsing with lynx from accessing websites. Since this is a set of rules supplied by WHM, then they have a bug in their rules.

I could ask Chirpy to fix the rules, but I can guess what he will say: He doesn't fix WHM bugs.

Now, I've been told to read the manual, so that's out of the way. I hope someone will respond with an actual fix to this problem. Thanks in advance to whomever manages to do that.

AndyReed

PartnerNOC
May 29, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
I could ask Chirpy to fix the rules, but I can guess what he will say: He doesn't fix WHM bugs.
Post your Mod Sec rules here. It must be a rule you can disable to un-block Lynx.