The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mod_fcgid

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by britsenigma, Dec 23, 2010.

1. britsenigma

britsenigma Well-Known Member

What's the current consensus on getting the most from Apache/PHP for a general server with a few hundred accounts on it.

I'm running mod_fcgid, I've compiled APC, but I never noticed any performance gains, despite tweaking the settings. I went down the route of custom php.ini's and a wrapper in each users cgi-bin, but because the cache isn't shared amount fast cgi processes, I don't think I'm seeing any benefit, which is why the cache isn't getting hits. Well it registers 1, then does nothing with it, no matter how many pages I access on a site (this is according to apc.php).

I've tried to get mod_fastcgi working, but I end up with 500 errors currently, which I need to look into. (the idea is to let php handle processes, and the child processors can share the same cache segment).

I've even managed to get APC and Eaccelerator running at the same time, and from what I can tell, no bugs, but then, I'm not seeing any performance increases.

Looks like Xcache will get a whirl next.

Some people are saying, it's just not worth the aggro...and you're better off with a stock setup.

2. trizzo

trizzo Member

If you're running any sort of PHP APC or XCache will assist in page load times and server loads.

3. StingRay2k01

StingRay2k01 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I ran mod_fcgid with Xcache originally. Mostly cause it was a challenge to get everyone to play nice.
    But I never really noticed a speed up.

Months later I was hitting the memory wall, and redid everything without Xcache. Saved a LOT of memory and didn't increase CPU.

So ya, I would just say forget it, not worth the aggravation.