Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

mod_gzip tmp folder problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by abubin, Oct 12, 2005.

1. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have configure mod_gzip to run properly but yesterday I encountered a problem where apache service was down. Cpanel was unable to restart the service because of the gzip directory getting deleted.

Following the mod_gzip howto, I had mod_gzip's temp folder stored in /tmp/gzip. The problem was that gzip was deleted which puzzled me. Is there a cronjob running somewhere that clears the tmp folder? Or will tmp get cleared everytime there's a restart?

Any of you guys having similar problem? What's your solution? putting a cronjob on creating the gzip folder everytime reboot?

Thanks in advance.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You should never ever create direcories or files in /tmp that are affected by being deleted. That's why it's called a tmp directory. Yes, there's a cron job that usually calls tmpwatch that cleans up the tmp directory. If you want to specify a tmp directory, specify /tmp at the top level, not in a sub dir.

Is there a particular reason that you're enabling mod_gzip?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sh4ka

sh4ka Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

Yeap, same happened to me.. once by mistake I checked mod_gzip at apache recompiling from WHM and then my tmp partition was full, apache down.. and there were a rare archives that were been generated by mod_gzip, I just recompile withouth it and no more problems :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

creating that gzip folder under tmp was shown on most of the mod_gzip howto. It is supposed to let us keep track of mod_gzip's temp file usage. Anyway, after implementing mod_gzip, I do see my sites loading up much faster. I will move mod_gzip's temp folder to tmp instead to solve the problem.

Thanks for the advice.

#4 abubin, Oct 12, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2005