The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mod_layout

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mbarb, Sep 28, 2002.

1. mbarb

mbarb Member

HI,

I plan to start using Mod_layout to reduce my need for SSI. Has anyone used Mod_layout on a cpanel box?? Are there any special issues I need to know about when setting it up on a cpanel box.

thanks

2. mbarb

mbarb Member

I'll reply to my own question just in case anyone else needs to know...

Tonight I replaced my SSI banner rotation with Mod_layout. No issues on installation. Server seems to be happy and the load seems to be slightly reduced.

3. phantom

phantom Well-Known Member

How did you get it installed. I want headers and footers added to every page on the server on every domain created. Can you post detailed instructions on how to install it?

Thanks!

4. mbarb

mbarb Member

HI,

I only added headers and footers to one domain, about 150,000 pages. So far it's pretty painless, a few issues with files left in /tmp What I needed was the ability to turn off the headers on a few paid member directories.

installation was easy. I compiled the module, move it in the /usr/local/apache/libexec directory, added the module lines to the httpd.conf and then a few lined to the virtual host entry for the domain I'm using it on. The directions included are very good and it is really simple. I'm currently using the latest 2.xx.xx release because I had issues with LayOutHeaderOff in the 3.xx versions.

&Directory /home/*********/public_html/&
    LayoutDefaultHandlers Off
    LayoutHandler text/html
    LayoutHandler text/x-server-parsed-html
    LayoutFooter /home/*********/boards/copyright.txt
    LayoutHeader /home/**********/boards/banner.txt
    LayoutMerge on
    #LayoutComment On
    LayoutIgnoreURI *.cgi
    LayoutIgnoreTag &******&
    &/Directory&

5. phantom

Do you know how to make it so every domain that is created has headers and footers?

6. JustinK

JustinK Well-Known Member

You could just change it so the directory directive's path is /home/ and then whatever layout rules you set should be applied to all sites under it.

7. mesranet

mesranet Well-Known Member

Hi,

Please give a clear explanation step by step how to install mod_layout on my server. how to compile it using apache etc.

Thanks.

8. phantom

Can someone PLEASE post EXACT details on how to install mod_layout. I need it so it will automatically ad headers and footers to every domain's files. Wehn you say &compile&, I don't even know how that is done. Please be as detailed as you possibly can. You will be my hero if you can do this.

Thanks!

9. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If I may, I have a few questions as well.

I can see the advantage of the mod as it means the SSI call does not have to be added to each page. Although this can be done easily enough with a S&R Perl script, the convenience of automagically having it done for each new account/web page created, is really nice - without mod_perl even -- or is that a pre-requisite?

It doesn't sound as if you used WHM & Software & Install a Perl Module for this (maybe it cannot be installed this way?), and I was wondering if you tried it and failed or just prefer to do this sort of thing manually?

10. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I'm also interested as cannot get make to work for the lastest release of mod_layout, and when I try the 3.2 version is complains about DSO not available under my platform.

So, YES PLEASE, post anything you have that may help us all.