Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mod_proxy_wstunnel issues

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by ChrisjV, Feb 21, 2018.

1. ChrisjV

ChrisjV Registered

Jul 6, 2017
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I’m currently running the latest version of Cpanel and receiving the following when connecting to a websocket with to a NodeJS server.

This appears in /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log

H01144: No protocol handler was valid for the URL / (scheme 'wss'). If you are using a DSO version of mod_proxy, make sure the proxy submodules are included in the configuration using LoadModule

This is indicating mod_proxy_wstunnel is not working correctly.

We have setup the proxy and proxyPass directives as well to ensure this is working:

#Proxy Stuff

RewriteEngine On

SSLProxyEngine On

ProxyRequests Off

ProxyPreserveHost On

ProxyPass / wss://
    ProxyPassReverse / wss://

ProxyPass "/" ""
    ProxyPassReverse "/" ""

It really feels like something is going on here with mod_proxy_wstunnel. If i’m corerct WHM/Cpanel uses easyapache to enable mod_proxy_wstunnel and that is on by default. Also it seems we cannot unload this module without it removing the MPM apache module as well.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on here?
    #1 ChrisjV, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2018
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look at your server's configuration?

Thank you.