Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Mod_security and SQL Injection

Discussion in 'Security' started by ziceva, Feb 3, 2011.

1. ziceva

ziceva Member

It seems like SQL Injection is still possible with mod_security installed ... simply by putting the SQL code in a comment like /*! code_here */ ... this is a version dependent comment so will be executed by mysql, but it's not checked by mod_security (because it is a comment ...)

I tried matching /*! ... with no success ... I tried matching ! and got hits only if the exclamation mark is alone ... as soon as it comes with /*! it doesn't get a match ...

Any ideas an this?

Let me explain by example:

The problem: ht tp://example.com/test.php?id=1/*! UNION SELECT whatever */ does not get blocked
    Solution 1 (let's block ! ..):
    ht tp://example.com/test.php! (get's blocked)
    ht tp://example.com/test.php/*! (does not get blocked)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ziceva

ziceva Member

Found the solution ... I created a separate rule for this case and it worked just fine ... previously I was trying to edit the existing rule ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...