Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mod_Security DBM Question in 2018

Discussion in 'Security' started by feldon27, Feb 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. feldon27

feldon27 Well-Known Member

I'm forced to create a new thread because this forum disallows replying to threads after 1 year (what a strange rule!).

This problem still exists after many years:

Change secdatadir
    Mod_Security DBM Question
    ModSecurity: Rule processing failed.
    cPanel confirmed - Modsecurity incompatibility with Mod_ruid2 · Issue #1334 · SpiderLabs/ModSecurity · GitHub
    ModSecurity: collection_store: Failed to access DBM file "/var/cpanel/secdatadir/ip": Permission denied
    Failed to access DBM file "/var/cpanel/secdatadir/ip": Permission denied - ConfigServer Community Forum
    Apache with modsec "collections_remove_stale: Failed to access DBM file"
    Failed to access DBM file "/var/cpanel/secdatadir/ip": Permission denied - ConfigServer Community Forum

I found a possible fix:
    Failed to access DBM file "/var/cpanel/secdatadir/ip": Permission denied | {0,1,2,3,4}

I tried applying the change to /etc/apache2/conf.d/modsec/modsec2.user.conf

but apparently that file cannot override directives in /etc/apache2/conf.d/modsec/modsec2.cpanel.conf

I applied the change directly to modsec2.cpanel.conf and mercy be, the messages have stopped!! Too bad they'll start again when cPanel rewrites this file. :( I weep for the future of my SSD drive as thousands of these messages are logged.

2. Bulent Tekcan

Bulent Tekcan Well-Known Member

Hello,

This problem is gone, I think I found a solution like this way

1- Edit modsec/modsec2.cpanel.conf and put SecDataDir "/var/log/secdatadir" than save and exit
    2- Make this step with SSH root access

cp -R /var/cpanel/secdatadir /var/log/
    chmod 1733 /var/log/secdatadir
    chown -R nobody:nobody /var/log/secdatadir
    chmod ugo+rw /var/log/secdatadir/ip.*
    chmod ugo+rw /var/log/secdatadir/user.*
    chmod ugo+rw /var/log/secdatadir/global.*

And restart https deamon. Finaly my "ModSecurity: collections_remove_stale: Failed to access DBM file "/var/cpanel/secdatadir/ip": Permission denied" problem is gone

I hope other users happy for this solutions :)

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I believe the workaround you are looking for is discussed on the following thread:

ModSecurity - SecDataDir

You should be able to simply define the custom path for the "SecGeoLookupDb" directive via the following option:

"WHM Home » Security Center » ModSecurity™ Configuration » Configure Global Directives"

Let us know if that helps.

Thank you.

4. linuxman1

linuxman1 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I read on a post that this solution is temporarily, as Cpanel when it runs cpup it will overwrite this change!

5. linuxman1

linuxman1 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This workaround didn't work on my server, still have the same errors on logs, what worked only is chmod 777 the whole secdatadir directory and not only ip.* files!
    I read before at Cpanel forums that this issue should be solved when mod security version 3 is available, and as I checked online recently it's finally available, when Cpanel will use it instead of version 2.9 which is currently used by Cpanel?

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

There's currently no time frame on it's inclusion with cPanel & WHM, but I encourage you to vote and add feedback to the existing feature request at:

ModSecurity V.3 Support

We'll update the feature request with more information on the status of it's inclusion with cPanel & WHM as it becomes available.

Thank you.