The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modernbill installed on cPanel is sending out FORGED EMAIL?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by sexy_guy, Apr 16, 2003.

1. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

This is absolutely nuts. We have Modernbill installed on our Cpanel server. We send out billing notices to our clients daily, monthly to pay thier bills. I happen to send out an invoice from Moderbill to one of my contract customers that i do work for. Our email goes out as billing@domain.com. Guess what? While watching his sendmail i see this crap arriving to his email box on his server.

Apr 16 22:55:37 my sendmail[15038]: h3H2tbt15038: from=<nobody@mydomain.com>, size=1542, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<E195zv7-0006qq-00@my.domain.com>, proto=ESMTP, relay=root@localhost

Look at our FROM!!! Its from nobody@mydomain.com? How is this possible?????

And howabout this part?

zv7-0006qq-00@mydomain.com>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=mydomain.com [64.xxx.xx.xxx] (may be forged)

MAYBE FORGED? How is this possbile? Please explain this to me. So all email sent from our billing system has been sent as nobody@ourdomain.com even though our address is billing@ourdomain.com? This is just ridiculous! Hows that for a professional appearance? I am pissed off as hell.

I never thought in a million years that email is arriving at its destination as nobody???? I thought it was our real address.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

#1 sexy_guy, Apr 16, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2003
  2. FWC

FWC Well-Known Member

My exim_mainlog shows my MB email going from nobody@mydomain.com, too. But, I cc myself on all MB emails and it shows it's from me when I receive it.

3. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

Really, have you asked you customer what it appears as? I would love to know the answer to this question because as soon as i can get a hold of my client i will ask him what the email FROM said. How could it be arriving in his email box as from NOBODY then mysertious change to From: billing@mydomain? Sendmail on his box doesnt just change it automatically. And how do you explain the FORGED part in the logs above?

4. FWC

FWC Well-Known Member

Yes, they get the same thing as I do. The emails are from me, not nobody.

5. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

The From header will show from you. It is the Return_Path header that is modified to the nobody@ address. This has been discussed way to many times on this forum. There is even a fix posted, but I am not sure I would use it. I am not sure it is secure. This is not a Modernbill or a Cpanel issue. The issue is that user "nobody" (a php script being executed by apache) is the user sending the mail. As far as Exim is concened, "nobody" is not a trusted user, so nobody is not allowed to rewrite the Return_Path header to someone other than himself.

6. JohnT

JohnT Registered

The maybe forged part just means there is a disagreement between the reverse dns and forward dns it has nothing to do with the nobody@ issue which is a generic issue whenever a script sends out mail when its running under the webserver user