ModernBill, phpmanager or other? what do you recomend?

anand

Nov 11, 2002
India
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Forgot to mention this, the complete functionality of modernbill is modular, if you don't want anything just disable the module. So it becomes easy to setup.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

WillyMore

May 22, 2002
Is a Modernbill owned 100 license $100 or $100 a year? How does it handle reseller accounts?

anand

Nov 11, 2002
India
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
why don't you u go to their website and take a demo tour ?? / download their 30 days trial and use it. Its always better to use it first and then decide.

ricoche

Feb 7, 2003
I once had Modernbill and liked it very much. However two things made me change my mind about it.

1. The setup and maintenance were very difficult and time consuming. Everytime I had to make a change or whatever, it didn't give me a very intiuitive head start. I found myself spending more time on organizing everything rather than marketing my product.

2. Many reliable webhost companies I've consulted with have said that they really don't use automated account creation software, but rather do everything manually. The reason is because of credit card fraud and other possible mishaps that can happen with a total automated solution. They usually want to verify customers and money to cut down on problem costs. ( That includes the cost of time as well. )

On the other hand, many people have never encountered the above two problems that I did.

I agree with what the gentleman posted above wrote about figuring out what you want first and then going for it. Modernbill does have everything, but it doesn't seem to work well for me concerning the two points made above.

Perlbill actually worked well for me because I could set it up in under an hour and handle my orders manually. My fraud rate and signup problems have almost become non-existent. Business is good.

Again it's each to their own.

Good Luck!

:)

anand

Nov 11, 2002
India
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Originally posted by ricoche
I once had Modernbill and liked it very much. However two things made me change my mind about it.

1. The setup and maintenance were very difficult and time consuming. Everytime I had to make a change or whatever, it didn't give me a very intiuitive head start. I found myself spending more time on organizing everything rather than marketing my product.

2. Many reliable webhost companies I've consulted with have said that they really don't use automated account creation software, but rather do everything manually. The reason is because of credit card fraud and other possible mishaps that can happen with a total automated solution. They usually want to verify customers and money to cut down on problem costs. ( That includes the cost of time as well. )

On the other hand, many people have never encountered the above two problems that I did.

I agree with what the gentleman posted above wrote about figuring out what you want first and then going for it. Modernbill does have everything, but it doesn't seem to work well for me concerning the two points made above.

Perlbill actually worked well for me because I could set it up in under an hour and handle my orders manually. My fraud rate and signup problems have almost become non-existent. Business is good.

Good Luck!

Noone asks you to use the fully automated system. Its there if you want to use it, thats all. I also myself prefer to make account manually instead of using mb to do it. But there is always a provision if needed in future.

isputra

May 3, 2003
Mbelitar
I know about it, didn't like it though.
Why you did not like it ?

Please sharing your information :D

tAzMaNiAc

Feb 16, 2003
Sachse, TX
Originally posted by ricoche

Good Luck!

Perlbill is no good for webhosting! I moved to MB because PerlBill was lacking!

It's a nice program, don't get me wrong. But the support is bad, man!

I do NOT recommend PerlBill. I am using it now for other things than webhosting. ModernBill is an incredible program, and I have it set to have everything in Queue and waiting until I approve the account. I then push "RUn All in Queue" once i remove what I don't want. Simple!

I don't see how that could have confused you, or how you could have missed that.

Like you said, to each his own so if you like PerlBill, great! Just don't expect support from that programmer if you really need it. Also, absolutely no domain name integration at all.

Brenden

HostDime

PartnerNOC
Mar 15, 2003
Orlando, Florida
WHM Auto Pilot is the way to go

Personally, after using PHPManager for over a year, it's a great time for WHM Auto Pilot. PHP Manager was pretty small, not many options at all, and certain parts weren't coded well. WHM Auto Pilot has astonished us, and I was made the guy to update 3 companies with it. It saves my boss alot of time setting up Reseller accounts, and regular accounts. The support is great, Brandee is a great guy for support, and always answers promptly. He helped during setup, certain errors, mistakes we made, etc. WHM Auto Pilot is great.

pirania1

May 10, 2003
Miami, FL
And in 1 year WHMAP will be to small for you again.

Why spending your money 3 times if you gonna end up with MBill anyway?

The topic is bit stale in my opinion. There were tons of feedbacks on ISP Manager software.
1. Realise what you need.
2. Check out installable demos (if demo not available, scratch off your list).
3. See which one covers the most of your needs, and which will allow you to accomodate any future needs.
4. Check which one you can afford and buy it.

Those are steps you have to do anyway. I would never relay strictly on somebody's opinion.
After all, all of us do business in very different way.

anand

Nov 11, 2002
India
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
If you create account automatically / manually (i recommend manual as you can track frauds etc) wat ever you do, there is no BILLING MANAGEMENT SYSTEM BETTER THAN MODERNBILL.

GuiPos

Jul 9, 2003
Indonesia / Germany
I am a newbie in cpanel and WHM !
i resell 3 years for another company - now i sign up a server and work for my own wallet.

in this situation i search 4 month for a good billing system.
i ask in many forums and look in many demo's some companies provide.

its difficult to find the right software - but i choose modernbill [ a 100 owned license ]

i need alot of time [1 week] to figure all out because i wonna do it allone as a part of my learning process.

i am really satisfied with my choice and would recommend it to all others.

after the start time - its all so easy to handle and even if you put all in a queue to get conrtoll on it because fraud .

i have big problems in the beginning with my curl and php setup - the manuals are not so really helpfull - but the members and administrators of the forum.
the Admin and jprince help me , login and take a look in my current setups - so i can localize the problems and fix it. always the have for newbies like me a good advise.

they come out in august with a new version - so i recommend to wait a little bit untill its out - dont download the free trial because you need to setup icecube for the trial periode.

only my 2cents
Hope this Help

Last edited:

jackal

PartnerNOC
Feb 23, 2002
We have tried couple of others that are listed here. That being said our selection is modernbill. Once we got it setup through out gateway which is linkpoint "which is also great" it has been great. Account signs up, emails sent and charged all with 3 minutes of signup. It has it all faq, helpdesk, banning section, reports, etc...........

All

Great product!!!

Host4u2

Mar 24, 2002
Glad you are happy with MB. We bought it when it was first released and stuck with it until about last Christmas. We then moved on because of the extreme upgrades, bells and whistles, and time spent on it to keep it "automated". Michael at MB is a great guy, and provides very good support. We felt it just all went too far too fast, and way beyond a secure billing solution. The more added, the more vulnerablity to something going wrong or needing patches for. Almost 2 years of instability and needing to constantly update was too much.

jcsolutions

Nov 4, 2002
Canada
What accounting system?

I still haven't picked a billing solution yet, but I'm leaning toward PerlBill because it supports PaySystems and Paypal, and also because of it's client support abilities. Most of my clients don't want to bother with filling out a support form if they can get away with just sending an email. PerlBill will convert these mails to tickets for me. A big plus!

Here's a question:
Does anyone out there use an accounting package such as Simply Accounting or QuickBooks to track their transactions?

I've been using Simply Accounting for a while now, but I need something that will automatically send out invoices for me and allow clients to view invoices on demand (hence, PerlBill). Problem is I'll still need to enter everything in Simply to keep my accounting up-to-date. :(

I'd be interested in hearing what others do.

Last edited: