ModernBill, phpmanager or other? what do you recomend?

jackal

PartnerNOC
Feb 23, 2002
Modernbill does all the invoicing for you.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

tAzMaNiAc

Feb 16, 2003
Sachse, TX
Re: What accounting system?

Modernbill + eSupport = good combination. eSupport lets u do proper piping, AND it comes with Modernbill integration.

That's what I have and .. it blows perlbill away. :)

anand

Nov 11, 2002
India
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Re: Re: What accounting system?

Originally posted by tAzMaNiAc
Modernbill + eSupport = good combination. eSupport lets u do proper piping, AND it comes with Modernbill integration.

That's what I have and .. it blows perlbill away. :)

perfect combination.

MB rocks

jonmar

Sep 13, 2003
I sure do wish I would have read this thread before my fiasco. I "purchased" a copy of PHP Manager. I have purchased in quotes, because I have paid my money and have yet to receive the script. I called on the phone a couple of times and they keep telling me, as soon as the "system" receives notification, the link will be automatically mailed. I received my payment notification with minutes. These guys aren't very good to do business with. I ended up going with Autopilot. Going into the 5th day now. I guess they still have to wait for notification. I filed a complaint with PayPal.

ckizer

Aug 12, 2001
I'm sorry but modernbill should NOT be used for large scale. We have 10,000 clients and modernbill just sucks. Take a look at the code sometime. We did a simple mod (cleaned their code) and it shaved 15 seconds off the client view loading. Once you get lots of clients it just sucks. Many of it's interface and way to do things in modernbill are NOT well thoughtout. It's like the programmers don't even use their own software.

Host4u2

Mar 24, 2002
We jumped into Modernbill when it was new, and struggled through it's many updates and re-writes. After much frustration with the bells and whistles added to Modernbill, it's code, and constant fixes and updates, we finally abandoned it for WHN Billing. Some will say that Modernbill is the greatest (after you finally get it setup properly and tweaked), but a sucessful hosting company will soon out-grow it as the code loads slower and slower defeating itself in most of it's applications. For 2 years we felt like beta-testers, working for Modernbill. I personally feel that software should work for me, not me work for the software. WHN Billing has worked flawlessly for us, and we love it.

big

Aug 12, 2001
Earth
Originally posted by Host4u2
We jumped into Modernbill when it was new, and struggled through it's many updates and re-writes. After much frustration with the bells and whistles added to Modernbill, it's code, and constant fixes and updates, we finally abandoned it for WHN Billing. Some will say that Modernbill is the greatest (after you finally get it setup properly and tweaked), but a sucessful hosting company will soon out-grow it as the code loads slower and slower defeating itself in most of it's applications. For 2 years we felt like beta-testers, working for Modernbill. I personally feel that software should work for me, not me work for the software. WHN Billing has worked flawlessly for us, and we love it.

WHNbilling with large client base and no problem?

i read somewhere that modernbill with 10,000 clients is REALLY goes slowlater on

what about WHNbilling ? never slow?

WebHostPro

PartnerNOC
Jul 28, 2002
LA, Costa RIca
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
We tried them all but did not have much susscess, all had flaws something you do not want for your sensitive information.

Third party billing is not reliable either, it's easy but will cost you in the long run...

We keep everything local in quickbooks.

Our shopping cart exports the new customer data into there easilly.

We also manually enter our charges in our recurring software yourpay.com.

I's more work but you can give a better service to your customers when you keep close track of all billing.

just my thoughts, good luck

Host4u2

Mar 24, 2002
DWHS.net

I've struggled with this issue too. Your input is good, but what happens when you have 10,000+ accounts like ckizer? There comes a time when some automation is critical to grow.

WebHostPro

PartnerNOC
Jul 28, 2002
LA, Costa RIca
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Actually, adding new customers takes about 120 seconds so you could do 50 a day easily.

But most likely ckizer built up this amount and gets maybe 20 new accounts a day.

Since all you have to do is out them in recurring once the only work is the initial set up.

The key timing wise is not manually entering the customers into quick-books. Make sure the cart does it for you.

Other then that you could have 50,000 customers at 100 new accounts a day and still run with 2 on staff.

I think a lot of people start with the billing scripts and change to their own merchant solution later. We started with paysystems and wish more then anything we just started out the way I suggested above. We run a little over 3000 this way.

:D

Pjotr

Apr 27, 2003
Waalwijk, the Netherlands
I am very satisfied with ModernBill.
It has seemless intergration with a new supportdesk (OSTicket), which i adore :).

It can create forum accounts, cpanel accounts, domains, etc.

ModernBill is the link to every other program :)

Superb!

sky

Nov 24, 2002
I feel modernbill just ain't the correct hosting billing system. Their support is down the drain. The app comes with much headache to install and get it running. There isn't much of a documentation.

In fact, after I terminate my account with them, they are STILL sending me invoices for services I do not use for the past like 8 months!!! Even emailing them is no use. It really says alot about a billing software when the company developing it has problems with their own billing!

Anyway, I am currently working for a large ISP handling their billing systems. I am looking at creating a billing system for hosting companies. At this stage, am just fact finding and settling the initial wants and nots. Definately we are looking at something that is not concentrating on features but more on business management. ETA June 2004.