The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

modify mx record

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by verdon, Feb 13, 2004.

1. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I've been recently moving a number of domains to my new whm/cpanel server. I've been trying to make the move as transparent as possible for my end users. Most of my end users are coming from environments where their pop host settings in their email client would be 'mail.domain.com' By default, new domains created by whm/cpanel use just 'domain.com' as pop host. As I don't want to reconfigure many dozens of email client apps for my customers, I have been trying to modify the domain setups on my new server so that 'mail.domain.com' resolves as pop host.

To do this, I've been logging into the cpanel for each domain, choosing 'Modify MX Entry', clicking on 'Change an MX Entry' and then changing the MX for 'domain.com' to 'mail.domain.com'.

Although this seems to work and I haven't had to reconfiguer all my customer's email apps, it does cause DNS errors when getting a report from dnsreports.com and othe sources along the lines of...

So, I guess my question is threefold;

1) How big a problem is this
    2) How do I fix it
    3) How can I achieve the desired result in the future just using the tools built into whm/cpanel

Best regards and TIA for any advice,

2. cyberspirit

cyberspirit BANNED

You are mixing up two completely different things here.
    The MX record is only used when smtp server need to look up the destination of an email to be routed. A pop client has nothing to do with it and will never ever touch or use an MX record.
    So leave your MX records at domain.com and set the settings in the WHM settings GUI that will make sure users use mail.domain.com for their webmail and such. There is a setting very much at the end of that page.
    What will happen then is that the record mail.domain.com points to domain.com or the ip used by domain.com and your users do not need to change anything.
    The way you have it right now is incorrect because cpanel does set up a cname record for mail.domain.com and you cannot use this as your MX (and never should).

3. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I assume you mean the line 'Add the mail. prefix for mailman urls (ie http://mail.domain.com/mailman)' in 'Tweak Settings' in WHM? At least it's the only thing I can find that seems to be it.

I may just be confused and may just have lost track of the order of things I tried when first setting up my server, but I did have this setting checked. I then tried removing the modified MX entry from mail.domain.com back to domain.com and my pop client seems to be connecting fine to mail.domain.com. I'm confused :)

Anywise, thanks for the advice!

BTW... although cPanel told me it was saving my modified MX entry when changing back from mail.domain.com to just domain.com, it didn't seem to take. I ended up having to do it via edit MX in WHM.

Hope I've got it right this time!
    verdon