The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modifying the exim.conf acls and other stuff

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Smitty519, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Smitty519

Smitty519 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    I've spent many hours trying to find the answer to this with no success. I've also tried several different approaches to doing it. This is whm 11.23.2 running under RedHat linux at It's my dedicated server and it hosts 4 -6 domains and about 2 dozen email users scattered amongst the domains.

The only way I've found to modify an acl so that cpanel updates won't wipe out the change is by using the advanced exim config editor. However, I don't seem to be able to modify or replace an existing acl. The only success I've had is to add a new acl with a new name and change the pointer to it in the config file. eg. acl_smtp_rcpt = my_check_recipient . Isn't there a way to replace an existing acl (or transport, director or router)??

Also, how can I modify the system filter file to resist updates wiping out the change?

I don't believe that the chattr solution that keeps being suggested is the right way to go. All that does is screw up the update process. Then you may end up preventing an otherwise desirable update.

This "advanced" editor is very difficult and non intuitive (for me at least) to use. It seems I spend a great deal of time fussing with it to achieve what I want to do. There must be a better way!:) I saw a suggestion in another thread to just make changes in exim.conf. local. The suggestion came from cpanel support. After looking at that file, it appears that you would have to have detailed knowledge of the file's format and how the update process actually works to use that. Is that information available anywhere?

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

Apr 7, 2006
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    A possible work around would be to have a a posteximup script that modified /etc/exim.conf to restore your ACL changes.