Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

modsec_audit.log rotates clears every hour

Discussion in 'Security' started by 10101, Apr 5, 2009.

1. 10101

10101 Well-Known Member

Hi,

modsec_audit.log is currently clearing itself every hour in /usr/local/apache/logs, how do I change this so that it's rotated properly like most lost in /var/log?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. thobarn

thobarn Well-Known Member

Look in /etc/cron.hourly. Remove modsecparse.pl which causes the symptom you are seeing. It parses (not very well) modsec_audit.log and inserts contents into DB modsec, then clears the log file.

Unfortunately, next time you build apache it will return so you need to keep an eye on it. I could not find a way to disable it. You may want to keep a copy as the credentials for DB modsec are in there.

Edit: after removing modsecparse.pl, modsec_audit.log will not be included in Main >> Service Configuration >> Apache Configuration >> Apache Log Rotation Configuration list so it is not rotated. A workaround is to rename modsec_audit.log to something else in modsec2.conf. After that it appears in the list and rotates normally if selected. Sadly, modsec2.conf has a tendency to be overwritten as well.

#2 thobarn, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  3. 10101

10101 Well-Known Member

Thanks I'd since posting found that cron, I will create a cron to remove it daily for when apache is built.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...