SOLVED ModSecurity: IP whitelisting doesn't work

serpent_driver

Aug 1, 2019
Home
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

I have added exclude rule to ModSecurity in /etc/apache2/conf.d/modsec/modsec2.user.conf to whitelisting Googlebot from being blocked, but it doesn't work. Googlebot will still blocked if accessing to robots.txt.

SecRule REMOTE_ADDR "^66\.249\.xxx\.xxx$" "id:1,phase:1,nolog,allow,ctl:ruleEngine=Off"

What is wrong with my rule?

Thank you
Michael

serpent_driver

Aug 1, 2019
Home
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
From modsec_audit.log

--46acc7c7-A--
[08/Dec/2020:23:26:06 +0100] -jheB94ktFAAXppPXCmZsvqH 66.249.66.214 63716 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80 80
--46acc7c7-B--
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx // My Server IP removed
AMP-Cache-Transform: google;v="1..5"
Connection: keep-alive
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/signed-exchange;v=b3,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 6.0.1; Nexus 5X Build/MMB29P) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/86.0.4240.96 Mobile Safari/537.36 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate,br

Message: Access denied with code 403 (phase 2). Test 'REQUEST_HEADERS:Host' against '@rx ^[\d.:]+$' is true. [file "/etc/apache2/conf.d/modsec_vendor_configs/OWASP3/rules/REQUEST-920-PROTOCOL-ENFORCEMENT.conf"] [line "735"] [id "920350"] [msg "Host header is a numeric IP address"] [logdata "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"] [severity "WARNING"] [tag "application-multi"] [tag "language-multi"] [tag "platform-multi"] [tag "attack-protocol"] [tag "paranoia-level/1"] [tag "OWASP_CRS"] [tag "capec/1000/210/272"] [tag "PCI/6.5.10"] [MatchedString "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"]

mod1.jpg
mod2.jpg

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for the additional details. You may want to allow the user-agent itself rather than the IP address in case that changes in the future, as shown here:

Could you try that instead and see if you get better results?

serpent_driver

Aug 1, 2019
Home
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I replaced rule with REQUEST_HEADERS rule, but this rule is missing an ID. I corrected it and will watch it. If it works this rule is no good idear. Everybody can fake its User Agent, so why doesn't IP exeption work?

serpent_driver

Aug 1, 2019
Home
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Done, but just found a new issue with ModSecurity related to the current issue. I have just installed Matomo (Dev Release), a analytics software like Google Analytics. For development a plugin it is necessary to generate fake requests. These fake requests are done by Matomo function, but executed by me. In ModSecurity Tools I have now hundreds of entries with my own IP and log shows " Access denied with code 403 ", but I wasn't blocked. Is it because I am whitelisted in cPHulk or has ModSecurity a (huge) malfunction?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
cPHulk shouldn't have any interaction with ModSecurity, so it seems like there may be something else happening with that system. It might be best to get a ticket submitted to our team so we could take a look at that directly on your system.

If you put in that ticket please post the number here so I can follow along and post an update for the community.

serpent_driver

Aug 1, 2019
Home
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Okay, but I will wait if the current changes work to have a final status.
Thank you for help.

btw. If a new rule has been added in WHM -> ModSecurity Tools and not by adding it in modsec2.user.conf such rule has to be enabled in ModSecurity Tools first to get it work.

Reactions: cPRex

serpent_driver

Aug 1, 2019
Home
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Update and new status

My rule set for whitelisting Google IP works, but don't know why it works now, but not before. I have changed nothing, but only restart ModSecurity and LSWS. (Already done before more than once). So the new status is: Everything works as it should and there is no (more) issue with ModSecurity and IP whitelisting. Issue can be set to solved.

Thank you for help!