The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

modsecurity question

Discussion in 'Security' started by durangod, Jul 28, 2014.

1. durangod

durangod Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I was reading this

EasyApache mod_security Module

and i can see where the OWASP table is reserved.

I downloaded the new version owasp from here 2.2.9-5

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_ModSecurity_Core_Rule_Set_Project

But then i thought, does a new install of WHM and Cpanel come with the rules already or do i need to install them. Its not real clear and i dont want to install that if the owasp rules are already there.

There is nothing on the mod security page so im assuming they are not but i wanted to ask.

Do i need to install that owasp version according to thier install file directions? Or it looks like i can just copy the rules right into the text area? Or choose default configuration? How do i apply the install to the ranges reserved?

#1 durangod, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  2. Shavaun

Shavaun Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cPanel & WHM does not currently install with anything besides very very basic Mod Security rules.

You can find our up to date documentation on Mod Security here: http://documentation.cpanel.net/display/EA/Apache+Module:+ModSecurity

You can put the rules that you want to use directly into the text area in the ModSecurity plugin interface. If you click "default configuration," it removes any rules that you have added.

3. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks so much, the default is good for now as a base just until im ready to do more right. The default is safe enough and generic enough to start with right?

4. Shavaun

Shavaun Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The 'default' rules that we provide with ModSecurity are *very* basic and will not provide significant protection if someone attempts to attack your server. There are other methods of security, you'll have to pick the best ones for your circumstance and server configuration.

In general, I would recommend having rules in addition to the default ones. You may find more information from OWASP or any of the other groups that provide ModSecurity rules.

5. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    ok thanks, i am running config server firewall also.. I just needed a starting point is all.. Basic is ok with me until i am able to add more rules. thanks so much :)