ca2236

Feb 2, 2018
Nebraska
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hello, I know cPanel is loaded with questions similar to what I'm seeing. But I started using (just today/yesterday) modsecurity rules. I'm seeing some permission denied errors for GeoIP and other and I think it is because I don't have a db path in the configuration section for modsecurity. However, after doing some research, I found a forum that talked about mod_geoip or mod_maxminddb being incorporated into a future release of easy apache.

Since I'm new to this, I was wondering if someone could help get me started how to install the GeoIP DB needed for this. I will keep researching. But was hoping a couple experts could point the way.

The two errors I'm getting are below. I'm sure I need to install/configure the GeoIP for the second one, not sure about the first one though.:

ModSecurity: collections_remove_stale: Failed to access DBM file "/var/cpanel/secdatadir/username-default_SESSION": Permission denied [hostname "domain"] [uri ...

and

ModSecurity: collection_store: Failed to access DBM file "/var/cpanel/secdatadir/username-ip": Permission denied [hostname "domain"] [uri "/xmlrpc.php"]

thanks

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
We have used geoip with cPanel for some time now the package is cpanel-geoipfree-data-90.0-1.cp1190.noarch though I don't know that you'd be able to use this with ModSecurity. The important note in these errors is the fact it's a Permission Denied error not an error indicating that the data doesn't exist.
The error you're getting sounds more like the old data collection issues with mod_ruid2 or jailshell and modsecurity than GeoIP though. This thread goes over this in depth ModSecurity DBM file access errors