The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modules installed, but LDAP not working...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by marklocklear, Apr 24, 2014.

1. marklocklear

marklocklear Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hey folks. I have an application this is hosted on my CPanel server that needs to authenticate to our LDAP server. I did the easy apache install to add ldap modules, and when I view info.php I see that LDAP is installed, so I think I am OK on that end. The issue we are running into now is authentication just does not seem to work, but no errors being thrown anywhere. We have a couple of other systems that are using these same credentials to authenticate. Is there anything else I need to do on the CPanel server to ensure LDAP should work? Specifically are there any ports I need to open? Since this is outgoing traffic, I would not think so. Our CPanel server is outside our firewall, so I'm concerned that the firewall could be blocking some traffic getting to the LDAP server. My network admin is saying he is not seeing any request coming from the CPanel server for authentiction. How can I troubleshoot this/ensure that the LDAP request is indeed leaving the CPanel server?

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    When you install LDAP through EasyApache, you are actually only just installing PHP support for it, that is, it will allow you to utilize the LDAP functions in PHP scripts. cPanel itself really plays no part in this, so this may perhaps not be the best venue to discuss your issue.

If your application is not authenticating through the external LDAP server, start with the application itself. From the cPanel server, can you telnet to the LDAP server? (telnet $server $ldap_port). If not, it's a connection issue and you need to indeed check the firewall. If you can, the problem is not the connection, it's the application.

3. marklocklear

marklocklear Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Great suggestion Vanessa! I am able to ping the ldap server from Cpanel, but I will try a telnet also.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You should also make sure no firewall rules on the LDAP server are blocking requests from the cPanel server.

Thank you.