The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Montly Backup update with daily backup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seeyes, May 27, 2004.

1. seeyes

seeyes Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I have these configuration on cPanel Backup menu:

Backup Status: Enabled
    Backup Interval Daily
    Days to run backup Monday Wednesday Thursday Saturday
    Remount/Unmount backup drive Disabled
    Bail out if the backup drive cannot be mounted Disabled
    Incremental backup (only backup what has changed. Enabled
    Backup Accounts Enabled
    Backup Config Files Enabled
    Sql Databases Per Accounts and Entire Mysql Dir
    Backup Raw Access Logs Disabled
    Backup Type Standard
    Backup Destination /backup

The backup are made in /backup directory. What is the problem?
    The system backup start form Noember2003.
    One user (I think is the same for all user!!!!) have upload via FTP a file (xx.html) in his web space on 22March2004. I hve three folder, daily, weekly and monthly. This user have deleted a file (xx.html) on 11May2004...

I go to Montly Backup (I think the backup is made in 30April or 1May) but there isn't a file!!!! I see the date of directory where previously was the file and the date/time is update on 11May.

Why?It's correct? If I wold a copy on first day of the month (update only the first day of next month), first day of week (update only first day of next week) how I configure cPanel Backup System?

thank you
    Antonello

2. seeyes

seeyes Well-Known Member

Hello,
    nobody has my same problem?

Antonello

3. seeyes

seeyes Well-Known Member

I think this is only an error on my servers :(

Thank you

4. GeekPatrolMille

GeekPatrolMille Well-Known Member

I am not 100% certain but I have been working on the backup processes in whm so I can perform daily backups. I only turned this feature on 2 weeks ago and looked this morning, the first day of June and there was no Monthly backup made even though there was a daily and a weekly. If the system does not make a Monthly backup tonight then I would conclude that it is set up to perform a monthly backup on the day the backup process began in one month increments. I am thinking the way crontab entries are set up to deduce this. I looked at the crontab listing but did not see anything for backups that I could identify so it may be part of the many other cron jobs that root is running.

If this is the case, your user deleted this file the day before the backup for the monthly would have taken place. Thus if a week went by before you looked for the file in the daily or weekly folder, it would have been overwritten by the nightly backup process.

Anyone else have more insight here. My scope in this area is a bit limited and I am only guessing, based on what I can see and understand thus far.

-greg

#4 GeekPatrolMille, Jun 1, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2004