The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More DNS template & default value questions

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by crwilliams, Aug 11, 2006.

1. crwilliams

crwilliams Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2002
    I've looked, but haven't seen these specific questions answered.

With the DNS zone templates, do they apply to accounts transferred to the server where the templates are edited? Or do they apply to new accounts created on that server only? Are they meant to apply to only one or the other?

When I transfer an account to one of my new servers, the A and CName TTL values are changing to values not in any of my templates, and they were not the values they were before transfer. I can't figure out where those values are coming from.

Do they come from one of the variables in the header area of the template, rather than the absolute values for expire, refresh and TTL that are changed? Such as:

$TTL %ttl%
    @ %nsttl% IN SOA

**as opposed to below that**

3600000 ; expire, seconds
    900 ) ; minimum, seconds

Do the %ttl% and %nsttl% come from another script entirely, and have set values in that script? I'm afraid to dink around with those directly in the template. Are those variables meant to be adjusted (if done by someone more confident in doing so)? Or would it not matter to transferred accounts anyway, their values coming from elsewhere?

Thanks for any clarification.