The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More EXIM problems --- <sigh>

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bmcpanel, Sep 2, 2003.

1. bmcpanel

bmcpanel Well-Known Member

I have to say, I am really extremely tired of Exim. My customers hate it, I hate it. It is extremely unreliable.

I have put together a few comments I have received from my customers just in the past 3-4 days (From different web servers). I have tested these emails and verified that the simple things are not causing the problem (out of space, wrong email settings, etc.). These are users that are competent and have been with us for a long while.

This exim software is driving me out of my skull. If it were not for the problems that Exim creates, my support queue would be about 25% smaller each week. Exim costs me time and money!

COMMENTS FROM MY CUSTOMERS
    ------------------
    I have not received any email in two days. None available at Horde. I have received calls saying my email is bouncing back. I can not get a test email to myself. This is at least the fifth time in five months that this has happened. Please troubleshoot and FIX this. I can not continue with this level of poor email reliability.
    ------------------
    Our mail account, kelly@blahblahblah.com, hasn't been receiving email for two days. I tried sending test emails with no luck. PLEASE HELP!
    ------------------
    my mail does not work at both mail.somedomain.com and mail.somedomain2.com
    I can NEITHER send messages (every time it says about different mistake) NOR receive emails!! the sender to my email address receives "Warning: could not send message for past 4 hours" in several hours!
    it is alreay 24 hours like my email does not work!!! DO SOMETHING!!! I am losing money!!
    -----------------

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. tAzMaNiAc

tAzMaNiAc Well-Known Member

It's unreliable to you because you do not have a properly running configuration apparently. Did you rebuild Exim4? Did you run /scripts/updatenow?

Do you want genuine help? You could have pm'ed mmkassem who helped me with all his might to get Exim running with MailScanner properly. THere's so many people here you could have asked for help, yet you whine about Exim and it's so-called unreliability? I don't see the same issues you do, so how can I help you? I could take a look at your configurations, etc but you wouldn't give me root access -- and you shouldn't anyway.

Are you sure you didn't edit the exim files incorrectly and leave "droppings" around that interfere with exim running? I had done that once and once I started again with a fresh config file I was ok.

There are so many things that could affect exim -- load on your server? network accessibility? Etc.

Well I don't seem to see you investigating it and instead dropping it into daddy's lap to investigate.

cPanel is not meant to automate everything. It is also on your shoulders to know the system you are running and have the ability to troubleshoot. If all else fails, the cPanel tech comes in and tries to help you if it's a cpanel issue. Many times it's not, other times it is. Why blame it on Exim? :)

Brenden

3. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

I agree with tAzMaNiAc; I really don't think exim is the issue here. Either there's a misconfig somewhere or a myriad of other factors that could be causing your headaches.

Your best bet is to reinstall exim from scratch and after this if you continue to experience issues, you should contact your host or cpanel for support.

/scripts/exim4 this will resinstall exim
    /scripts/updatenow will force an update following the exim install.

4. anm

anm Member

The same thing happened to me earlier today. I think what happens is Exim will get hung up following a cPanel auto update. But simply reinstalling and running updatenow will fix it nearly every time in short order.

As a program in general I have no problems with exim.

5. bmcpanel

bmcpanel Well-Known Member

I appreciate the input, even the smart assed comments. But, my experience is not just from what happened lately. I speak from an experience of using Exim for the past two years. I am, frankly, unimpressed. I noted when I first came to Cpanel that Exim 1.) Is buggy 2.) Increased my support requests due to email problems. 3.) Frequently changes due to Cpanel updates, etc.

I had hoped that it would get better, but it does not. And, my experience seems to be shared by others.

I have dug into the Exim code, read the forums and followed the update instructions, hacks, etc. Yes, yes, yes, I have done all of that for 2 years now. My point is, why should I have to be worrying about this still after 2 years.

That is the point of my post. And, I believe my concerns to be quite valid. From what I see from these forums, my concerns are shared by others.

You will note, I did not bash Cpanel developers about this issue. I respect Cpanel immensely. I only stated my opinion about Exim.

6. superiorhost

superiorhost Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Dang Brenden, who pissed in your corn flakes ?

He has a valid point. However, I don't think it is so much a problem with exim, as it is the ever evolving backend scripts of Cpanel.
    We have the same problems.. mail accounts work fine for years, then all of a suddent we get slammed with people saying they can't send or receive emails, or both.

It happens all the time, and it is nothing you don't experience if you use Cpanel. We have way too many servers to say it is a config error on our part. We change nothing, yet when cpanel updates things can stop working.

Cpanel is a work in progress - ever evolving, and has made some great improvements over what it was back when Nick was still with VDI, but there is still going to be problems when it updates so often.

Hell, just today, I have had 4 people that couldn't log into email accounts that worked fine for over a year. Chance of luck? I don't think so.

So what was the problem ?
    Well, I am not sure what caused it, but changing the accounts passwords to new passwords (for the mailbox) seemed to fix the issue. Let's keep in mind, that their old passwords worked fine for the last 18 months or so.

They changed nothing, and we changed nothing. We run the stable release version of Cpanel, yet we still have issues like this a lot. Not daily, but more then once a week.

Cpanel is a great backend to help you on the front end, but it will mess with things that haven't been touched, like it or not. We deal with it, because it is a nice system, and who knows, maybe some day a stable version will be just that...

But to go off on someone for posting a ligitimate problem is just plain stupid. You might want to re-read your own post (brenden) becasue it really made you look like an ass. I know your not, becasue I have seen some really good posts from you, but I guess you were in a bad mood this time.

Tim L