The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More than one shared IP? Sending IP for Outbound Email.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by lorio, Jun 3, 2014.

1. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Currently only the main IP can be shared. It isn't possible to distribute accounts on differen IP (only dedicated one account, one IP).

Any reason why that is handled that way? No demand?

The "Sending IP for Outbound Email" feature could be better utilized when more than one IP could be shared.

Thanks for reading.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It's currently only possible to do this if you make one account a reseller and delegate an IP to the reseller for the accounts it owns. However, at that point it's considered a shared IP address. Feel free to open a feature request for this via:

Submit A Feature Request

Note that you can configure a domain name to send mail from an IP address that is not assigned to the account:

How to Change the Sending IP for Outbound Email in Exim

Thank you.

3. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the idea. Never used the reseller features after being on my own licenses.

You're right. I forgot that the dedicated accounts IPs can use EXIM without the new feature. Still unsure how stable this feature is. I read about some glitches in the forum. Not uncommon but since it is not used by the majority I expect a lot more issues.

Thanks.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am not aware of any existing bugs regarding the use of the /etc/mailhelo and /etc/mailips files. Feel free to let us know if you experience any issues if you decide to use this functionality.

Thank you.

5. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The option "Send mail from account’s dedicated IP address" is using the domain name and the dedicated IP of the account with EXIM.

When testing this function I wondered if a FQDN like mail.account.tld would be used. But it seems to be just the account.tld domain.

Is this seen as a FQDN in terms of HELO checks? Never used a mailserver name without a hostname in productive use. I have not seen emails where helo and mailserver name didn't match.

When it comes to reverse DNS (RDNS) my provider wouldn't allow me to set a reserve DNS without hostname. So FQDN is a must.

I wonder how anyone can use this feature, since helo and RDNS will be not matching (Ok, if provider is not forcing FQDN entries for RDNS it can work).

#5 lorio, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  6. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Would be interested in having some feedback from other users of this feature. Who is using is for a longer time and can provide some insight about the pitfalls.

Is a check via MX Lookup Tool - Check your DNS MX Records online - MxToolbox successful on other setups.

Another aspect is SPF and DKIM in the light of extra IPs.
    The SPF is in the DNS on the shared IP.

The "X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname" and "X-Get-Message-Sender-Via:" headers are using the shared mail host domain name.

#6 lorio, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm not sure I understand. Your provider will not setup RDNS for an IP address to a domain name? You should be able to use an actual domain name as opposed to the hostname of the server if necessary. Or, you can disable "Send mail from account’s dedicated IP address" if you prefer to choose the HELO named used, as indicated in the document I provided in my last post.

Thank you.

8. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    RDNS has to be set as FQDN. host.domainname.tld vs domainname.tld.

If you use the "Send E-Mail via dedicated IP of an account" everything is set to domainname.tld. Not a FQDN.

I cannot remember seeing RDNS without a FQDN. So I wonder who is using this feature without changing config by hand. I would bet the big freemailer will put you on a list quickly (ok, they do it even when there is no glitch in your configuration).