The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most efficient method of moving an account from one server to another?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by schwim, Aug 24, 2007.

1. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

Hi there guys,

I have a client that would like to move their site to a dedicated server, which will also be running cPanel. I am wondering the method of moving them which would cause the least amount of down time.

I'm going to be using a different URL for the server setup and not the site's own domain, which will allow me to have it up and running before attempting to move the site over, so that should minimize part of the down time, but what you suggest I do to make the actual site move as smooth as possible?

thanks,
    json

2. koolcards

koolcards Well-Known Member

Just transfer the site using WHM. Both the old and new copies of the site are 'live' so there is no down time.

Decide which you want to control your DNS, configure name servers, etc. When all the traffic has resolved to the new site location (couple days), you can remove the site from the old machine.

3. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

Hi there koolcards, and thanks very much for the reply.

I saw the option after you suggested it, but have a couple of questions concerning this function

1) Give new account an ip address: Does this mean a dedicated IP?

2) Will the SSL certificate transfer over to the new server with no modification required?

Since it's an e-commerce site, I imagine I'm going to have to shut down the other site, so as not to have orders being placed in both locations.

thanks,
    json

4. gribozavr

gribozavr Member

Yes.

It should. Check it under "Main >> SSL/TLS >> SSL Key/Crt Manager". If the certificate is there, but the host doesn't show up in "Manage SSL Hosts", add it in "Install a SSL Certificate and Setup the Domain".

I think you could place a link to the new server's IP in the old server's index.html, but SSL certificate may not validate when server is accessed directly by IP.

5. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

You can change the A record of your website on the old server once the website is completetly transferred. So any request to your website will be forwarded to the new server unless the new DNS is propagated.