Most secured free FORUM script ?

dxer

Sep 9, 2002
Europe
For which free FORUM script can we say it is most secured today ?
And please post URLs where I could see them.
I don't need anything complicated and fancy but nice looking and secured forum from known widely known hacking tricks.

Thanks

rpmws

Aug 14, 2001
back woods of NC, USA
dxer said:
I don't need anything complicated and fancy but nice looking and secured forum from known widely known hacking tricks.

Thanks
almost all of the opensource FREE scripts have been exploited in some way. The most popular ones are the biggest targets. obscurity is the best way to keep out of trouble. I often take copies of phpBB and rename all the files and all the internal links so the worms can't find it. I just add a string to the filenames like upload.php gets renamed to upload_1.php. I do this for all the files and then install it inside a folder name that no one uses.

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
Indeed. It's impossible to say which scripts are secure, you can only point out the ones that are not. Todays "secure" script can very easily become tomorros can of worms. If you need a warm fuzzy feeling about a script ;) you could try searching bugtraq for whichever you're considering and look at their past performance, though that's still going to be relatively meaningless if there are no hits.

jackie46

BANNED
Jul 25, 2005
dxer said:

Thanks

Try www.tectite.com. Its one of the best!

rpmws

Aug 14, 2001
back woods of NC, USA
there is no such thing as a secure open source project that runs on php. It just depends on how many people play with the source to find issues to exploit. Some are better than others. You could take a custom script that was poorly written ..full of holes and it would never be hacked if it were never released as open source. Hackers go after easy wide exposure. phpBB has got to be the worst ..fi it gets replaced with another one as "most" popular ..then that one might be next .I guess it all depends on what teh developers do to start out with more secure products and then what they do to plug the holes when they learn about them :)

Bennylovster

Aug 17, 2006
SMF is highly secure and the just bacuse it's open source does not mean it is classed as insecure. The reason for them being open source is to get them jobs just think how many people use SMf and how secure it is companys will see that and pay them to build there site so you see how this works....

Spiral

BANNED
Jun 24, 2005
SMF is highly secure
ROFL LOL LMAO!!! :D

SMF has more holes in it than swiss cheese!

It has nothing to do with the program being "open source" but just that the
program was very poorly programmed where security is concerned.

My primary field happens to be network and applications security and one
of the things I do is rip programs apart and examine the code line by line
for flaws the designer overlooked. I personally know 87 different ways
to crash an SMF board in seconds and I can promote myself to administrator
whenever I like on any SMF board which is one of the main reasons I don't
use SMF on any of the forum communities that I run.

Commercial doesn't mean better either as IPB gets just about as bad marks
from me in the security department as well.

I wouldn't exactly call vBulletin the pinnacle of perfection but it does rate
somewhat better than IPB in terms of security.

XMB .... well let's not go there. Bleeeeegg!! ;)

One of the best overall was MyBB but unfortunately that one doesn't give users
and real import or export options so you are too much invested into MyBB if
you use that one.

Overall, phpBB2 would probably be my first choice as what security holes are there
are easy to locate and even easier to fix so it is not difficult to setup an ironclad
security tight phpBB2 installation.