The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most STABLE cPANEL ... ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by x23, Apr 3, 2004.

1. x23

x23 Member

Hello,

How stable is cPANEL with all the other OS's except! for REDHAT / FEDORA.

I'm interesting in running DEBIAN, SUSE, MANDRAKE, OPENBSD, FREEBSD, SOLARIS.

It seems the solaris one has been on 85% for the past year.
    I am curious if they're ever going to release that or not.

What else is most secure+reliable+fast ?

My HARDWARE will be:
    Intel Pentium 4 Xeon 2.4 Ghz
    1 GB DDR RAM (possibly 2 GB)
    73 GB SCSI or 120 GB SATA HDD

-- On an important note, someone told me NOT to use SCSI as he has had bad experiences with it especially with FEDORA and REDHAT. (luckily i wont be running those).
    Apparently because the SCSI drive can't keep up with big traffic sites and tends to fail.

Is this TRUE ?

Advice would be great !

Thanks.

2. roliboli

roliboli Active Member

Hello

We have a running server with Suse 9.0 since 1.1.2004.

So long we had no problems with the stability. But there are some tricky things to do while installing cpanel.
    There are a lot of services which are not working correctly.
    In my opinion the cpanel-team didn't test the cpanel installation with suse 9.0.

But after modifying some config-scripts everything works well!

Server: Dual Xeon, Raid5 Scsii, LVM

3. fizz

fizz Well-Known Member

My next box will be FreeBSD, ive heard alot of good things about cpanel on FreeBSD, and there was even a thread not to long ago on these forums about it as well, people seem to love it.,

4. PbG

PbG Well-Known Member

In comparing our FreeBSD 4.9 box to our RH boxes I have to say the FreeBSD box rocks! Plus it has dual SCSI drives that have seen no problems since it's Feb 2004 launch. In fact I find it hard to believe anyone would say SCSI drives would fail to keep up on high traffic sites versus IDE drives. Especially when the SCSI drives are running faster (10,000 RPM) than the IDE (7200RPM) drives.

Most of our future boxes will be FreeBSD. It just handles loads much better. Backups on the FreeBSD never invoke the CPU/load wait. However on the RH boxes the opposite is always true. There are definte differences that need to be understood, planned for and/or observed. However it is still well worth the learning curve.