The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting a Hard drive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mo, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Mo

Mo Active Member

I just used the mount new HD from WHM for my machine as /home2 all went ok no errors but the hard drive is around 73gb in space but WHM is reporting back as

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sdc1 31M 20K 29M 1% /home2

any ideas on howto use all the HD has to offer and not what WHM wants me to use ?

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I don't know what the problem is, but you may want to try doing the job manually. That's what I do and never have a problem.

Here is where I found some nice instructions on that:
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/index.html

3. Mo

Mo Active Member

Hello,

Thanks for the link - I already have the drive mounted but its not letting me use 100% of the drive I think the partition on the HD is not correct as it has a 73GB volume and yet cpanel is reporting is as a 31MB disc space :eek:

4. Mo

Mo Active Member

Ok I have the following being displayed:

Code:
     Disk: /dev/sdc1: 32MB, 32868864 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes 
    I have mounted the drive + unmounted + remounted and tried to add a partition - what ever happens it reports the hard drive as 32MB as above - has anyone got an answer please? :)

5. Tilsim

Tilsim Registered

You have to check the jumper position on the hard disk. It may be in the "Limit capacity to 32" position. If so, you have to change it to master or slave or cable select position. If you are using the same cable for both hard drives, be sure not make the settings "master" for both of them, or "slave" also. If one is master, the second must be slave. If you are not familiar with the settings be careful because wrong settings may crash your drives. Attaching the second drive to another cable will be more safe. But it all works the same for cdroms also. If you attach the drive and the cdrom at the same cable, one must be master and the other must be slave. :cool:

#5 Tilsim, Dec 12, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2004