Move accounts between servers except mail

Rogerio

Sep 26, 2016
Sao Paulo, Brazil
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

I have a dedicated server with some accounts, but 3 of them have, together, more than 1 Tb of IMAP mail messages. Both servers are 100 mbits only, and will take a lot of time to transfer.

My ideia is transfer the accounts except the "mail" folders. Reason: I can rsync the mail folders to a separated folder on the new server before transfer everything else and change the DNS. Everyday I can rsync only changes until the migration day. And then do a final rsync in the migration day, replace the "empty" folder with that rsync'ed, transfer everything else (website, mysql, email accounts (passwords), DNS and so), restoring the latest version of /home/user folder.

Any ideas how to accomplish this? I need to do everything in one sunday, so the Transfer Tool for immediate change is not possible.

Thanks.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello @Rogerio,

The easiest approach would be to uncheck Copy Home Directory for those three accounts when using WHM >> Transfer Tool to copy the accounts to the destination server. Then, use rsync to manually transfer the data from the home directories for those accounts (/home/$username/) as needed and in the order you prefer.

Thank you.

Reactions: Rogerio

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
HI @Rogerio

MySQL databases are stored in the MySQL directory not in /home/$user so they would be unaffected. I would ensure that when you perform the rsync you include all folders besides mail if you want to do that separately.

Rogerio

Sep 26, 2016
Sao Paulo, Brazil
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello @cPanelMichael and @cPanelLauren

Worked, thank you. But I had to set new GID and UID to each folder on /home/user. How can I fix owner and permissions since the UID/GID are differents in the new server?

And, doing this way, it didnt create /etc/apache2/logs/domlogs/user folder (symlinked on /home/user).

Thanks.

Last edited:

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @Rogerio

You should be able to use chown or usermap/groupmap as described in the rsync man page:

Code:
            --usermap=STRING        custom username mapping
            --groupmap=STRING       custom groupname mapping
            --chown=USER:GROUP      simple username/groupname mapping