Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED Move Accounts to PHP7 Questions

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by AM2015, Jan 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. AM2015

AM2015 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have newly upgraded to EasyApache4 and have the same desire - I want to slowly shift to PHP7, one domain at a time.

Can someone share the best way to do this?

Currently PHP 7.1 is not installed -- can I customize my existing package to add PHP 7.1 without having it activated or overriding the version of PHP currently in use by all sites (5.6)?

Once that is done, do I need to use Multi-PHP manager to set which domains should use PHP 7.1? Right now when I go to that section, I get this message:
    Code:
    [I]PHP-FPM option is not available because you do not have all required packages installed.

Please use the link below to go to Easy Apache 4 and install these packages before utilizing the PHP-FPM functionality.
    [/I]
    [LIST]
    [*][I]ea-php54-php-fpm[/I]
    [*][I]ea-php55-php-fpm[/I]
    [*][I]ea-php56-php-fpm[/I]
    [*][I]ea-apache24-mod_proxy_fcgi[/I]
    [/LIST]
     Go to Easy Apache 4.

I'm happy to go ahead and install everything I need, but don't want to install anything I don't need. As everything currently uses PHP 56 -- I am thinking I really don't need the php54 and php55 packages.

Or is there an easier way to things up without using PHP-FPM? (Such as manual changes to .htaccess files for each domain?)

#1 AM2015, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2017
  2. linux4me2

linux4me2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Note that PHP 7.0.x and PHP 7.1.x are two different versions, just like PHP 5.4.x and PHP 5.5.x. PHP 7.0.x is still not supported by all the web applications I've got customers using, and PHP 7.1.x is a step beyond that. If I were you, I might install them both, but I'd do the one-by-one switch to PHP 7.0.x first, and perhaps just test with PHP 7.1.x on a few select sites that you already tested with PHP 7.0.x.

If you have the system default in MultiPHP Manager set to PHP 5.6, and you have no accounts set to use PHP 5.4 or 5.5, you can safely uninstall PHP 5.4 and 5.5 with EA4 and install PHP 7.0 and PHP 7.1 without any sites being accidentally switched to them.

What I suggest is to go into WHM -> Software -> EasyApache4 and click on View All Packages. Copy the list of PHP 5.6 extensions you're using to a text document, and refer to that list so that you can select the corresponding extensions for PHP 7 as you go through EA4. You can go ahead and install ea-apache24-mod_proxy_fcgi and the PHP-FPM extensions for each version of PHP you are going to be using while in EA4, though I recommend holding off on enabling PHP-FPM for any domains until you've successfully made the transition to PHP 7 to make troubleshooting more straightforward in the event of issues.
    Once you've run EA4, you can go into MultiPHP Manager and enable PHP 7 on each account one-by-one. All the other sites will use the system default you've previously set and won't be affected.

AM2015 likes this.
  3. AM2015

AM2015 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you so much for these very clear instructions!

And also for setting me straight as to PHP 7 vs. PHP 7.1

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. AM2015

AM2015 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks again -- the whole process was actually much easier than I anticipated, and I now have all sites except one running on PHP 7.1 - so I have set PHP 7.1 as site default.. (While I appreciated your pointing out that PHP 7.1. is different than PHP 7.0 - it turned out not to be an issue.) The MultiPHP manager is very intuitive and all of the Wordpress sites were able to handle the shift without a problem. The only problem I had was with a phpBB site which turned out to be a line in the config file that needed to be corrected from mysql to mysqli.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm happy to see the version switch worked out well. Thank you for updating us with the outcome, and always feel free to open a new thread if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!