The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Move addon domain to primary domain.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rezman, Oct 26, 2011.

1. rezman

rezman Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I have been searching around and can't seem to find anything.

Is there a way to move an addon domain to be the primary domain?

Say is no longer wanted and the customer even stopped renewing the domain. Can I move to be the account's primary domain and delete from the system without having to delete the entire account? The only thing I can find is I can rename the primary domain but that would require deleting the addon domain along with any emails boxes from the system first.

On a side note, my company is going to start a new hosting service. I'm considering making all new accounts that sign-up a primary domain of something like "" then adding their chosen domain as an addon domain to prevent this. That way they can delete their domain and add new ones as addons and not ever need to worry about the primary domain. The only problem I see is they can make email address using the "" which I wouldn't want.
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

There are no features to automatically convert an addon domain to the primary domain at this time. We do have a feature request open for this functionality:

Migrating Addon Domain to full account

Feel free to add your input to that feature request.

If you would like to manually make this change, you should first make a full backup of the account. Then, remove the addon domain, and use Web Host Manager to modify the primary domain name of the account from the existing domain to the addon domain name. Once this is complete, you will need to restore the email accounts from backup.

Thank you.