The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Move all accounts and settings over to new cPanel Installation

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Wil Hatfield, Aug 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Wil Hatfield

Wil Hatfield Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I know the subject line sounds a little funny. Here's the scoop. DC isn't able to clone the 2TB drive over to a 960 SSD because it's smaller. We've tried everything and the result just doesn't boot the system. So what we need to do is just bring the SSD online as the main system drive and quickly copy everything over. Is there a script around or a how-to that will do the following?

Copy over home, cpanel settings, ea4 settings, cloudlinux settings, cloudlinux php_selector settings. Pretty much everything. Customers just had to go through unrelated IP migrations a few weeks ago and I would really like to keep this operation down to a minimum by quickly moving everything over to the new SSD drive.

Machine is running CLOUDLINUX 7.3 x86_64 standard cPanel & WHM 64.0 (build 36)

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

If you are forced to reinstall the OS and cPanel, then you may want to see if your provider can setup everything on a new server. You can then utilize "WHM >> Transfer Tool" to migrate accounts and service configurations, as documented at:

Transfer Tool - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

You can also review the steps documented at:

How to Move All cPanel Accounts from One Server to Another - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Otherwise, there is no feature that will make a full image of the server. That would require a third-party application such as R1Soft:

R1Soft | Fast, Reliable & Affordable Server Backup Manager

Thank you.

3. Wil Hatfield

Wil Hatfield Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No they can't do a new server without completely assigning new IPs. I'm not after an image though. Just the ability to copy all of the configs over. cPanel/WHM, EA and CloudLinux don't keep their configs in an easy copy capable location? I have full root capability.

4. Wil Hatfield

Wil Hatfield Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Not to mention the machine name change and so many users following the cPanel use machine name for SSL/TLS recommendation. They just had to change that with the IP change a few weeks ago and would very much frown upon having to do that again.

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The following utility is available for backing up and restoring configuration data:

The cpconftool Script - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

However, keep in mind that manually copying over an entire filesystem to a new drive isn't something that's supported. I highly recommend making sure you have backups of your accounts in-case something goes wrong.

Thank you.

6. Wil Hatfield

Wil Hatfield Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes we keep daily backups just in case and they are on a completely separate /backup drive and partition. Thanks for this. I have used cpconftool before and honestly just hadn't thought about doing the restore on the same machine it was created from. Normally I wouldn't be doing an operation like this so hadn't thought of that one. Now to figure out how to bring all the cloudlinux and php_selector stuff over. I'll head over to their forum for that one.

That R1Soft recommendation looks pretty cool, but they aren't clear if they backup system information or just customer data. Maybe I'll call them later for a demo.

7. Wil Hatfield

Wil Hatfield Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Still a bit stuck on how to move the domains and customer data back into place though. Should I just run a full backup right before the move and then restore the backup of each one afterwards? Or do you know a simpler way at the command line?

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It depends on how you are copying over the filesystem to the new drive. Is your provider helping you complete that step? Do you use a separate partition for the /home directory?

Thank you.