The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

move default domain document root

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jjd, Dec 4, 2014.

1. jjd

jjd Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a client who needs their main domains document root moved they would like it to be
    username/public_html/public

as they have some things that need to be one level down (public_html) that can not be publicly accessible.
    I know this is not a supported feature...
    what would be the best way to do this?

i considered setting their main domain to domain.local then set domain.com as an addon domain but they are not using their cpanel for dns they simply have their web address pointing to their cpanel, so i am unable to create an addon

is their a way to force create an addon domain without needing to first set nameservers to cpanel?

or should i do this http://www.inmotionhosting.com/supp...t/changing-the-document-root-with-root-access

to manually change the document root for that user? is there a downside to editing the config? will their be issues with it changing during updates?

thanks for the help!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I suggest using the method referenced in the link you provided. Those changes are preserved so you won't have to worry about updating the files again after updates.

Thank you.

3. jjd

jjd Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks I will do that then!