The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Move domain to different account in same cluster problem

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by JohnR, May 15, 2014.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member

Didn't think this through enough before hand and have myself in a bit of a bind.

I have an account domain1.com on server1 and another remake of the account newdomain1.com on server2

We are now ready to move domain1.com to point to server2 so the new site becomes active. The problem is both servers are in the same DNS clsuter. Originally I had planned on just parking the domain domain1.com on the account newdomain1.com and then switching the A record to point to the IP for server2. I have dome that in the past but int this case with both servers i the same cluster it will not let me do so.

I have searched the forum but did not find a solution. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Elsewhere I found something that said to change the httpd conf file on server2 and then change the IP but I do not want to screw things up.

Thanks

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Could you simply terminate the account on the source server, and then add it to the account on the destination server as a parked domain name?

Thank you.

3. JohnR

JohnR Member

I need to keep the source account. It is to be renamed to something like olddomain1.com for the client to access some data that is not being moved to the new site.

4. JohnR

JohnR Member

What would happen if I modified the domain1.com account in WHM and changed it to old.domain1.com?

Should that make it so I can setup the domain1.com account on server2? Or better yet change the main domain for newdomain1.com to then be domain1.com?

Really do not want to mess this up worse trying to fix it.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, use the "Modify an Account" option in Web Host Manager on the source server to change the domain name to an alternative. You can then add the domain name to the account on the destination server, or modify it on the destination server.

Thank you.