Move email accounts from one domain to another

Rockwell

Feb 13, 2019
Melbourne
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi, I am needing to change our website url, which seems straight forward (as per the link below)

buycpanel.com/12012014-how-to-change-the-wordpress-site-url-in-cpanel/

But once this is done I need to change all the emails, ie all employees and aliases that were setup on the old url. Is there a clean walk through available please.

Also, is there anything else I need to adjust in WP or Cpanel due to the our website URL changing.

Thank you in advance your help.

Rockwell

Last edited by a moderator:

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Am I correct in assuming the domain name is changing.
Let's say it's currently one.com but will become two.com ?

Rockwell

Feb 13, 2019
Melbourne
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Am I correct in assuming the domain name is changing.
Let's say it's currently one.tld but will become two.tld ?
yes you are correct. the change is straight forward as i have found a clean guide to do this. My concern is I never set up one.tld so when i change it to two.tld , I now need to change [email protected] to [email protected] etc

Last edited by a moderator:

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I guess there may be a migration process, the experts will have the answer to this.
I suspect however, with a domain name change maybe not.

Personally I suspect that you may have to create new email accounts manually. I could be wrong though.
Not so much of a problem if you only have a small number of accounts.

If this is the case, then i'd be tempted to create the new accounts using the same name and passwords (if you know them). [email protected] becomes [email protected]
Doing this will at least make the migration on the client PC a little bit easier.

Are your email accounts utilising IMAP or POP3.
With POP3, it's unlikely that you'll need to copy any data between servers.
IMAP is another story.

I

Last edited:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello @Rockwell,

I recommend contacting your hosting provider and asking them to use WHM >> Modify An Account to change the domain name associated with the account. This option will automatically update all email accounts from the old domain name to the new one.

Thank you.

Rockwell

Feb 13, 2019
Melbourne
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello @Rockwell,

I recommend contacting your hosting provider and asking them to use WHM >> Modify An Account to change the domain name associated with the account. This option will automatically update all email accounts from the old domain name to the new one.

Thank you.
Thank you for the advice. I will let you know how I go. Cheers.

Reactions: cPanelMichael